VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 256MB DOM module (technically 245MB) and I have around 40MB space left after all drivers installed, Win98SE works surprisingly well however I cannot run too many games as they require at least DX7 and installer tells me it needs 60MB at least so I thought to install it manually (without using temp files) or this isn't even possible? 😁

Reply 1 of 8, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have another drive on that machine?
If so, use that one for the temp directory.

And make some space by deleting help files from the windows directory if you haven't done so already.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can't install DirectX then it won't be the only application you'll have issues with. Either slim down Windows or use a larger drive. The space requirements for Windows are well documented.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
haker120 wrote on 2022-05-21, 15:16:

The problem is I have only USB that works as another drive and all space is taken by Win98 and drivers also I tried install DX7 from USB that has lots of space. 😉

Temporary set the temp and tmp values to a directory on your usb drive, extract the dx7 setup.exe on it too.
Any useless files from your DOM modules you can remove?
Driver installers/temp files/unneeded programs/hlp files and so on?

Reply 5 of 8, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, hoonestly, Windows\Temp is clean, as I mentioned I have only Windows 98 plus drivers on this DOM and I planed to somehow install DX7 and run anything (I tested this on normal desktop and it seems to work great) like games from compatible much bigger USB drive, this is a terminal BTW and DOM modules are too expensive for me or just not available locally, HP T5700. And how to change TEMP under win9x? I know how to do it on XP up only. 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Start the command prompt,
"Set temp=d:/temp" (or whatever drive letter your usb uses)
"Set tmp=d:/temp"
And run the dx7 setup from that same command prompt, it should work, unless it doesn't cause it's Win98...

Reply 7 of 8, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And I managed to install not only DX7.0a but unofficial Service Pack 3 (the one available for my language), moving TEMP (unfortunately it works only temporarily) to big USB drive helped as well so I have Win98SE with all drivers, patches (available from that unofficial pack) and DX7 on 256MB DOM module. Thanks for advices! 😁

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
haker120 wrote on 2022-05-21, 17:49:

this is a terminal BTW and DOM modules are too expensive for me or just not available locally, HP T5700. And how to change TEMP under win9x? I know how to do it on XP up only. 😀

I've got a similar one. Installed a CF card adapter because of the same reason.
- I'll try to find my thin client and take a photo for you! 🙂

The original DOM in my HP was a 16MB model, I think. I even went so far and used Double Space to get WfW 3.11 running..

Windows 9x still has drive compression compatible with Drive Space, btw.
Not sure if it's worth the trouble, though. Depends on the application/use case.

Windows 9x does excessive swapping, also. Not sure if the swap file is located outside the compressed area, also.

Edit: Photos taken.

Attachments

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//