VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So Î tested all the different drivers for Sound Blaster Live Value CT4830 for Windows 98SE that I found in Vogons, Philscomputerlab and other sites, and I had different levels of success.

From the available .VXD drivers I looked for, the best ones I found had SB16Emulation correctly installed and showing in the DOS log, and functionally everything was fine within Windows as well, but for one thing: they stop Windows 98SE from restarting after I prompt it to do so, getting to the restart screen with the logo but doing nothing until I manually restart.

I'm absolutely sure that the drivers are the culprit as the problem disappeared when I uninstalled the drivers, I've been re-installing Windows98SE when testing the different SB drivers as well. Is there a known compatibility issue with anything else that's causing this? Nusb? Nvidia drivers? Or is there something else to be done? As I've said it really is a shame because from all the research these are the best ones but for this one problem. The same restart problem happened in other SB drivers as well. Any clues? Thanks everyone

Reply 1 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andre_6 wrote on 2022-06-11, 17:05:

So Î tested all the different drivers for Sound Blaster Live Value CT4830 for Windows 98SE that I found in Vogons, Philscomputerlab and other sites, and I had different levels of success.

From the available .VXD drivers I looked for, the best ones I found had SB16Emulation correctly installed and showing in the DOS log, and functionally everything was fine within Windows as well, but for one thing: they stop Windows 98SE from restarting after I prompt it to do so, getting to the restart screen with the logo but doing nothing until I manually restart.

I'm absolutely sure that the drivers are the culprit as the problem disappeared when I uninstalled the drivers, I've been re-installing Windows98SE when testing the different SB drivers as well. Is there a known compatibility issue with anything else that's causing this? Nusb? Nvidia drivers? Or is there something else to be done? As I've said it really is a shame because from all the research these are the best ones but for this one problem. The same restart problem happened in other SB drivers as well. Any clues? Thanks everyone

The USB2 driver for Windows 98 SE causes a restart problem just like you explained. I think I used the Nusb driver as well.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, why don't you just use the defaukt SB16 drivers that do ship with Windows 98SE?
The SB16 is hardware-SB compatible,
so no VXD Sound Blaster emulation would be needed? 😕

Edit: Never mind. I've just looked up the CT4830..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-06-14, 08:17:
Um, why don't you just use the defaukt SB16 drivers that do ship with Windows 98SE? The SB16 is hardware-SB compatible, so no VX […]
Show full quote

Um, why don't you just use the defaukt SB16 drivers that do ship with Windows 98SE?

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-14, 06:07:

The USB2 driver for Windows 98 SE causes a restart problem just like you explained. I think I used the Nusb driver as well.

I installed the drivers one by one on a fresh setup and restarted two times after each to find out the culprit, Nusb installed correctly and didn't keep the pc from restarting, the problem showed up after installing the SB drivers. As for Nusb, is there a fix for that? Or for the USB2 Win98SE drivers? Maybe it can help

Reply 4 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andre_6 wrote on 2022-06-14, 17:59:
Um, why don't you just use the defaukt SB16 drivers that do ship with Windows 98SE? The SB16 is hardware-SB compatible, so no VX […]
Show full quote

I installed the drivers one by one on a fresh setup and restarted two times after each to find out the culprit, Nusb installed correctly and didn't keep the pc from restarting, the problem showed up after installing the SB drivers. As for Nusb, is there a fix for that? Or for the USB2 Win98SE drivers? Maybe it can help

Maybe the issue may be a payload of using the SB drivers. My SB didn't impose restart issues until NUSB was installed and vice versa. I don't have a solution for it, I let my PC on for sometime and it restarts eventually

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 5 of 5, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-14, 18:50:
andre_6 wrote on 2022-06-14, 17:59:
Show full quote

Maybe the issue may be a payload of using the SB drivers. My SB didn't impose restart issues until NUSB was installed and vice versa. I don't have a solution for it, I let my PC on for sometime and it restarts eventually

Thanks, I will try waiting to see if something happens just out of curiosity.

Edit: nothing actually, just hangs on the screen for a long time