VOGONS

First post, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, would like to ask for your advice: I am trying to run a 3d racing game called S.c.a.r.s, from 1998, and on my rig (pentium 3, 512 mb, voodoo 2 and ati agp 128 mb) is incredibly stuttery and slow. According to the requirement i am well beyond what's the minimum suggested. I tried the game on pcem and dosbox pure and runs at full speed while on my real life pc only at the main menu i have like 60 fps, rest of the game is like 10 fps and i can't understand why. Maybe cpu is too powerful for it and i need, paradoxally, something to slow it down? every other 3d game i play runs with no issues

Directx is 7, mobo driver are updated, video card drivers are updated, voodoo 2 are updated too.

I thought that maybe was because of the passthru cabel, but i rebooted and used only the agp card, and same result

Reply 1 of 3, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thread has some info on the patches available for the game: [UNSOLVED] running S.C.A.R.S on xp

Here are my notes when trying to run the game many years ago:

This game will install, but not run on WORKSTA1 (Windows XP SP3). It is necessary to use the setup.exe rather than the autorun icon in order to get the game to install properly. Also, the game must be installed with the lowest letter optical drive or an error message results.

The game will install and run on GAMEBOX1, although there are issues with the Indeo animations running at a snails pace. The game does not run full-screen in 3dfx mode, but will do so in D3D mode. The Voodoo3 patch for the game may fix the problem, but has not been tested.

GAMEBOX1 is a Win98 SE machine with a PIII 933 MHz processor and Voodoo5 graphics card.

You might want to try running the game on the "other" video card, if you haven't already.

Reply 2 of 3, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello

yes i tried with both 3dfx and d3d and same results.

will try with the patch, but again in the measly virtual macine i created on pcem and dosbox pure, runs with no issues whatsoever, (despite other games having issues, in these vm)while my real life rig that runs basically anything i threw it at at 60fps, is having problems with a game from 1998, weird

Reply 3 of 3, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well looks like i was right and it was indeed a cpu problem,my cpu was indeed too fast, i used the cpuspd (found here in this forum) and set it to cacheneable, l2 disabled and voilà game running a the speed it was supposed to be