VOGONS

First post, by CMR779

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run the game Heavy Barrel on my pentium 75 machine, but I'm having trouble getting the joystick to work. The game works fine in Dosbox, but on my p75 it won't read the down or right joystick controls. It only reads up and left. I've also tested the stick with joysticktests and pressing right or down on the stick runs the cross hairs completely off the target box. Could this be an issue with my joystick port or hadware on my sound card? I'm using an ESS card that's SB Pro compatible. I've also heard that running old games on Pentiums like this will cause issues because the cpu is too fast. Does anyone have any ideas? I'll try testing other games tomorrow.

Reply 1 of 8, by Gustavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With many old games (i.e. Montezuma´s revenge), the joystick will only work correctly with a 4.77 MHz machine. Even a Turbo XT (10 MHz) can break joystick support on these games.

Why didn´t IBM go with digital joystick, like Atari, Amiga, MSX and almost all 80´s vidogame consoles.

Reply 2 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gustavo wrote on 2022-10-07, 10:31:

Why didn´t IBM go with digital joystick, like Atari, Amiga, MSX and almost all 80´s vidogame consoles.

Analog precision? Is it utilized at all in games of that generation?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gustavo wrote on 2022-10-07, 10:31:

Flight simulators? Simulation games were much more playable with analogue joysticks.
And corporate dudes totally loved simulations.
Flight sims, golf sims, ..

Paddles from the Pong and Atari 2600 era were also analogue, afaik.
The C64 has a paddle-input via SID chip, too.
It's used as an X, Y input for the analogue mouse, too.

Edit: The Apple II had an analog joystick, too.
That's how an IBM / Apple II era joystick looked like (stereotypically).

Edit: This blog entry is interesting, too.
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/02/p … sticks.html?m=1

Attachments

• apple-ii-a2m2012-iie-and-iic-joystick-001_small.jpg
    Filename
    apple-ii-a2m2012-iie-and-iic-joystick-001_small.jpg
    File size
    13.16 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Apple II joystick, SRC: https://www.the-liberator.net/site-files/retro-games/hardware/Apple-iie-iic-joystick/apple-iie-iic-a2m2012-joystick.htm
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • TandyJoystickTopLarge.jpg
    Filename
    TandyJoystickTopLarge.jpg
    File size
    184.07 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Tandy 1000 etc
    File license
  • 3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xap9p.jpg
    Filename
    3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xap9p.jpg
    File size
    115.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    IBM PC Jr
    File license
  • 480px-Ch_products_mach_2_joystick.jpg
    Filename
    480px-Ch_products_mach_2_joystick.jpg
    File size
    36.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    A CH products joystick (Mach series), SRC: Wikipedia
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 8, by Gustavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-07, 18:05:

Flight simulators? Simulation games were much more playable with analogue joysticks.

Yes, I know, but it really ruined the gaming experience for every other genre.
The king of (bad) joystick is the TRS Coco with its non auto-centering joystick and in many games the joystick control is the only method available.

I had one joystick very similar to these in the pictures. Flying with a flight simulator was really fantastic!

Reply 5 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Amiga also supports analog sticks by the way. Need an adaptor for PC plugged ones obviously, but I believe there are some Coleco or Atari ones you can plug right in.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gustavo wrote on 2022-10-08, 00:21:
Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-07, 18:05:

Yes, I know, but it really ruined the gaming experience for every other genre. [..]

Understandable. But in ~1981-1985, the IBM PC totally was a manager's toy.
It was foremost used by business people.
Stiff people in suits, with neckties and shiny shoes.
They only played "serious" games. Or so it seemed.
Flight simulator, golf, power plant simulator, slot machine, strip poker..
There was no time for playing Galaga, Asteroids or Pac-Man.

Personally, I kind of have a soft spot for the analogue gameport - but not for its, um, playful side.
I too had issues with calibration in games, albeit not so often as the others.
What I like is that the IBM Gameport was a cheap Analog/Digital Converter (ADC).
Not much unlike the microphone input of a soundcard.
It could read natural information of our real world,
like a reading from a temperatur sensitive resistor (NTC/PTC) or a light sensitive resistor (LDR). Yay!
In other words, the IBM PC could be used as a slow oscilloscope or oscillograph.
Nearly out of box!
And the best of it - BASIC had the commands built-in (STICK&STRIG)! Double yay! 😁

Gustavo wrote on 2022-10-08, 00:21:

I had one joystick very similar to these in the pictures. Flying with a flight simulator was really fantastic!

Cool! Me, too! I had the CH Mach 3, I believe.
I used to play this game with it:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/mig-29-fulcrum_

I know, it's perhaps not best/right time to admit this, due to the geopolitical situation. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by Gustavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-08, 05:02:

It could read natural information of our real world,
like a reading from a temperatur sensitive resistor (NTC/PTC) or a light sensitive resistor (LDR). Yay!

Hey!! I did that in the late 80´s, with QuickBasic, and plotted a graph or made some weird sound with the readings!! Great time!👍👍

Reply 8 of 8, by CMR779

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies. I tested my joystick with a multimeter, and the high numbers were pretty high. The right and down movements capped at about 180K or better. It was one of those cheap quickshot sticks. Maybe I'll just put together a homebrew stick out of some arcade controls. Atari 5200 fans have been doing them, and I think the circuits would be pretty similar for a pc.