VOGONS

First post, by BoredFish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Getting this Toshiba satellite pro 430CDT tomorrow, and in the photos for the listing, it seems that the hard drive is dead, meaning that the original install is probably gone. I want to try to get that original install back on it, but for the love of me I cannot find it at all. Is there by some pure chance if anyone knows where a windows 95 recovery disk is or if anyone has one? I know it exists, since I found a guide on recovering it on dynabook's website that mentions a companion diskette, a recovery CD, and a recovery boot floppy. If not, I found the drivers, though I would like the OEM information things when you go to system info. Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 13, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think that's been shared by anyone yet. I've never seen that on ebay so I'm not sure they're available? I've been on the lookout for original restore files for the Satellite 4xx series but haven't so far come across either a CD or floppy images to do that.

You can look here and there's a reconfiguration guide that runs through the full install procedure to get a setup that matches the factory install: https://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshiba/Toshiba.htm#430

Reply 2 of 13, by Dhigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you look on archive. org for toshiba satellite + media type = software, you should find some install CD's that should be compatible with your model.
Worst case, I have install IMG floppies (50 Mb) ...

Win 3.1 : HP Omnibook 425 + Toshiba T2130CT
Win 9x : Dell Latitude Cpx H500GT + Dell GX1
Win XP64 : Asus P5B Xeon

Reply 3 of 13, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What kind of IMG floppies are they? Specific to Toshiba?
I really need to upload my Toshiba re-install floppy images from a T2130CT's original hard drive to Archive.org.

Reply 4 of 13, by Dhigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-10-24, 15:49:

Yep, I guess the ones for the Satellite Pro 430CDT

DCBP.IMG DOS1.IMG DOS2.IMG DOS3.IMG DOS4.IMG DOS5.IMG EIDE.IMG IMG.DB MAXT.IMG ONLINE1.IMG ONLINE2.IMG PCMCIA.IMG SND1.IMG SND2. […]
Show full quote

DCBP.IMG
DOS1.IMG
DOS2.IMG
DOS3.IMG
DOS4.IMG
DOS5.IMG
EIDE.IMG
IMG.DB
MAXT.IMG
ONLINE1.IMG
ONLINE2.IMG
PCMCIA.IMG
SND1.IMG
SND2.IMG
SND3.IMG
SND4.IMG
SND5.IMG
SS3D.VBX
SVGA.IMG
TRANXIT1.IMG
TRANXIT2.IMG
VPM.IMG
WIN1.IMG
WIN2.IMG
WIN3.IMG
WIN4.IMG
WIN5.IMG
WIN6.IMG
WIN7.IMG
WIN8.IMG
WIN9.IMG
WINQS1.IMG
WINQS2.IMG
WMDCFRN.EXE
WTCD12.IMG

Win 3.1 : HP Omnibook 425 + Toshiba T2130CT
Win 9x : Dell Latitude Cpx H500GT + Dell GX1
Win XP64 : Asus P5B Xeon

Reply 5 of 13, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ooh, that looks promising. Some of the drivers like the ones for PCMCIA are otherwise very difficult to get. Could you upload those to the Internet Archive?
I just uploaded the ones from my T2130CT: https://archive.org/details/toshiba-t2130ct-recovery/ 😀

Woah, I didn't spot this either - there's a recovery image for the Satellite 400: https://archive.org/details/405cs-drivers-and-recovery - however that won't work for the OP since the 400CDT and 430CDT have different graphics drivers.

Reply 6 of 13, by BoredFish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, fsr vogons never notified that this thread had activity. I've looked at archive.org however nothing seems to be for the 430 series. I know the 430 and 435 are the same thing, so if anyone has any of that that would be great.

Reply 7 of 13, by BoredFish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Put a saved search on ebay just in case by some miracle someone decides to sell it. If anyone has any leads on a recovery CD, because according to the toshiba manual it exists. Feels like abandonware though, it doesn't seem to exist outside of manuals. Man, I really wish more people imaged CDs. I'd take a physical or image at this point. I've got a fresh windows 95 install on it, though it just doesn't feel right.

Reply 8 of 13, by BoredFish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dhigan wrote on 2022-10-25, 18:11:
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-10-24, 15:49:

Yep, I guess the ones for the Satellite Pro 430CDT

DCBP.IMG DOS1.IMG DOS2.IMG DOS3.IMG DOS4.IMG DOS5.IMG EIDE.IMG IMG.DB MAXT.IMG ONLINE1.IMG ONLINE2.IMG PCMCIA.IMG SND1.IMG SND2. […]
Show full quote

DCBP.IMG
DOS1.IMG
DOS2.IMG
DOS3.IMG
DOS4.IMG
DOS5.IMG
EIDE.IMG
IMG.DB
MAXT.IMG
ONLINE1.IMG
ONLINE2.IMG
PCMCIA.IMG
SND1.IMG
SND2.IMG
SND3.IMG
SND4.IMG
SND5.IMG
SS3D.VBX
SVGA.IMG
TRANXIT1.IMG
TRANXIT2.IMG
VPM.IMG
WIN1.IMG
WIN2.IMG
WIN3.IMG
WIN4.IMG
WIN5.IMG
WIN6.IMG
WIN7.IMG
WIN8.IMG
WIN9.IMG
WINQS1.IMG
WINQS2.IMG
WMDCFRN.EXE
WTCD12.IMG

Oh my I can't believe I didn't see this. If you could upload this to archive.org or somewhere that would be amazing!

Reply 10 of 13, by BoredFish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dhigan wrote on 2022-11-03, 18:13:

It is coming, please wait and watch for future adequate Thermalwrong post in this thread.

Sorry if I misunderstood but you said that you had some IMG floppies?

Reply 11 of 13, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Archive.org account so I'll be helping and uploading them 😀

I'm glad people are sharing these files while they're around - someone just shared the floppy images from Toshiba's next Satellite laptop platform. That's the 440CDx to 480CDx and 220/230Cx models, no good to you since it's got a different graphics chip and sound board but since I see the later PCI platform as a purely win9x laptop, seeing that the 220/230 series can run Windows 3.11 is kinda funny: https://archive.org/details/toshiba-satellite-200cs
I've got a Satellite 230CX that I could potentially put this on, it's got an HPA DSTN screen which I'm keeping that way because while DSTNs are terrible, this one refreshes pretty fast and it's kinda novel. Like an 'evolutionary dead-end' of LCD screen technology.

Reply 12 of 13, by BoredFish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-11-04, 00:29:

I have an Archive.org account so I'll be helping and uploading them 😀

I'm glad people are sharing these files while they're around - someone just shared the floppy images from Toshiba's next Satellite laptop platform. That's the 440CDx to 480CDx and 220/230Cx models, no good to you since it's got a different graphics chip and sound board but since I see the later PCI platform as a purely win9x laptop, seeing that the 220/230 series can run Windows 3.11 is kinda funny: https://archive.org/details/toshiba-satellite-200cs
I've got a Satellite 230CX that I could potentially put this on, it's got an HPA DSTN screen which I'm keeping that way because while DSTNs are terrible, this one refreshes pretty fast and it's kinda novel. Like an 'evolutionary dead-end' of LCD screen technology.

Thanks a lot, but the second you sent that, someone sent me a message with a link to them for the 435 CDS! https://archive.org/details/ToshibaSatellite435CDSDrivers

Reply 13 of 13, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, that's missing the Dos and Windows disks, along with some of the more peripheral stuff - but it's got the important drivers at least. If you install DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 using your own media, then install those - it should be about the same as the Toshiba pre-load.

I want to try out these image files but I ran through practically my entire disk collection with the T2130CT pre-load and don't wanna do that again. I may need to spend some time on getting a Gotek / FlashFloppy hooked up to the external floppy port of a Toshiba laptop