VOGONS

First post, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I'm trying to make my boot as clean as possible and I'm using the Silent option (whenever available) when I install and configure my devices on Autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Nonetheless, not all of them seem to have the silent option and the verbose is displayed on screen.

On autoexec.bat I found that if I redirect the output to "null device" (using the ">nul" command after each line) I can avoid seeing the verbose, but on config sys I am not aware of anything similar I can do.

I am currently struggling with the CD-ROM SCSI device drivers from Adaptec:

ASPI7DOS.SYS
ASPICD.SYS

As I cannot seem to find the option to make them silent...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Update: Corrected "console" to "null device" - thanks to analog_programmer for the correction.

Last edited by NightShadowPT on 2023-08-23, 12:10. Edited 1 time in total.

NightShadowPT
----------------
Compaq Deskpro M 486/66 - 64MB Ram - Compaq QVision 1MB - Orpheus II Sound
Card - 4GB SCSI HDD + 4GB CF Card - SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi - Adaptec WideSCSI AHA-2740W - 3COM Etherlink III Card

Reply 1 of 7, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow so I just had this same question I was asking myself when working on an old Windows 3.1 system.

I did some research and I found out what should be the solution, and I hope this helps!

There's a tool called "Blackout" which you can download from the simtel archive.

https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/archive/simtel.net/ … il/blackout.zip

From there, you extract the EXE to your location of choice, then invoke the file twice. Once towards the beginning of CONFIG.SYS as a DEVICE parameter, and again towards the end of your AUTOEXEC.BAT.

What the tool does is it blanks the screen while routines are carried out, then re-enables video output on the second execution of the tool.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 2 of 7, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

Although blacking the screen was not exactly the option I was looking for, beggars can't be choosers 😁

To be honest I have not found any other options, so this will be a huge step in the right direction.

Thanks again.

NightShadowPT
----------------
Card - 4GB SCSI HDD + 4GB CF Card - SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi - Adaptec WideSCSI AHA-2740W - 3COM Etherlink III Card

Reply 3 of 7, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No worries! Glad I could help.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 4 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Out of topic, but :

I for one, love to see the outputs from my Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files. I do try to choose the minimal info switch as the parameter if available, if the output is too messy.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 7, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I like both the splash screen and the verbose info. I sometimes used to press ESC during startup to display DOS's output. I also used to use XrX to change the splash screen. I have some C64 game screenshots as splash screens and can post a link if desired. I can also post a link to the XrX logo utilities and included splash screens, but they aren't mine. 😀

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 6 of 7, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NightShadowPT wrote on 2022-10-14, 17:01:

On autoexec.bat I found that if I redirect the output to the console (using the ">nul" command after each line) I can avoid seeing the verbose, but on config sys I am not aware of anything similar I can do.

Let's make something clear: " > nul" doesn't redirects to "console", but to "null device", and thus you don't see the output on the monitor (console output). To redirect output to console (which you don't want) use " > con".

I've never tried " > nul" in "config.sys" and I had no idea that it doesn't work there, but it's the most simple and convenient solution for blackin' out the output from "autoexec.bat" commands.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 7 of 7, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-22, 03:43:
NightShadowPT wrote on 2022-10-14, 17:01:

On autoexec.bat I found that if I redirect the output to the console (using the ">nul" command after each line) I can avoid seeing the verbose, but on config sys I am not aware of anything similar I can do.

Let's make something clear: " > nul" doesn't redirects to "console", but to "null device", and thus you don't see the output on the monitor (console output). To redirect output to console (which you don't want) use " > con".

I've never tried " > nul" in "config.sys" and I had no idea that it doesn't work there, but it's the most simple and convenient solution for blackin' out the output from "autoexec.bat" commands.

Indeed, you are absolutely correct.
I have updated my original post for accuracy.

Thanks

NightShadowPT
----------------