VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have a 486DX2/66 with WFW 3.11 installed. I am using an AWE32 card, MPU-IPC-T with MT-32 and SC-55 attached, 16mb RAM, 8GB CF card with CF-to-IDE adapter-drive, quad speed cd-rom and a NOS DVD IDE drive as a slave, and an ATI Mach64 4mb variant (109-37900-00.) All of this is attached to a 4DPS Tomato board. I have been using these variants for many years and without issue and have used Sierra software on previous builds with a previous 4DPS (same bios revision,) same AWE32, but different Mach64 card. So far, most Win3.x games have installed and play. I installed Gabriel Knight, but I had to skip the "testing" option and click "install" AND I couldn't change the directory. I could access the testing screen after clicking install. Here are all of the issues which occur:

1. Run setup.exe and click testing on the menu, it crashes.

2. Run setup.exe, skip testing and click "Install." I can get to the testing screen and click on most tests, however:
a. If I test the cd-rom drive, it crashes.
b. If I test the video, it claims that my Mach64 from 1996 cannot process enough pixels/sec. For example, Phantasmagoria requires 425k pixels/sec, and the Sierra VGA test claims that the card can do only around 253k. This test fails on every Sierra game test option I have tried, so far. This variant is an early 3d card made for DOS/Win3.x/Win95, so I doubt that the card is that slow with the pixels...

3. Run setup.exe, skip testing, go straight to install, attempt to change C:\Sierra\GameTitle to, for example, C:\Games\Sierra\GameTitle - it crashes.

4. If there is a crash, I cannot run setup.exe again until I exit Windows and load Windows back up (I do not have to reboot.)

Tested with Gabriel Knight, Betrayal at Krondor, and Phantasmagoria.

The error is "SETUP An error has occurred in your application..." If I click "Ignore," I get a General Protection Fault in module _SETUP.exe at 0003:26A2." I REMed out my EMM386 line just in case my memory map configuration was conflicting, but the crash still occurs. I will play most of the games in MS-DOS because I like the pixel-portraits and MS-DOS icons better than the hi-res portraits and black n' white icons, but I would like to determine the cause of these crashes since it is a sign of some instability somewhere in the system, whether it be hardware or software. I have tried a couple of different drivers for the video card, but none of them fix the 253k pixels / sec issue.

Any insight and advice will be greatly appreciated! This system has been a project spanning far too long and I am eager to simply install games and apps and use them.