VOGONS

First post, by SyxxFtH8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought a Compaq Portable 2 a couple months ago, but it came without boot disks, so I can't get it to boot.

I bought an XT-IDE adapter off TexElec, hoping I could get it to boot off that, no luck, apparently the CP2 doesn't support option ROMs (am I using that term right?).

I recently bought a Pentium system with an Asus P55T2P4 mobo, so I did what any sane person would do, I ripped apart the Compaq and yoinked the 5.25" drive out and connected it to my new Pentium system. The system recognizes it, but whenever I attempt to access a disk on it, I get a 'Drive Not Ready' error, so I don't know if the drive is borked, or if it just won't work on the Pentium system.

I'd like to get the boot and DOS floppies for my Compaq Portable 2, if anyone is willing and able to write the floppies for me. I'll be glad to mail you 3 5.25" floppies and pay for postage and whatever dollhairs you would like for your time.

OR

If anyone has an idea why the 5.25" wouldn't work in my Pentium, I'm all ears. I opened it up and cleaned the heads, the sled is clean and moves freely, and I heard that there might be optical sensors in the drive that could be dirty, so I found something that looked like a sensor and cleaned that too, but still no dice. My electronic repair skills are *0*. I bought an AM/FM radio kit to learn how to soldier and a bit more about components, but I haven't even started it yet... so... yeah... 8*)

As always, any help or advice is greatly appreciated! 8*)

Reply 1 of 3, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CPII was sold with a couple of configuration options but if I'm not mistaken the 5 1/4 floppy drive was DD 360KB, despite the computer being a 286. So a first idea is to make sure you have correctly configured the BIOS of the Pentium for a DD drive. Another idea is to temporarily connect a 3.5" to the Compaq, for basic troubleshooting and initial boot.

Reply 2 of 3, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you using the correct cable/connector to connect the 5.25" drive ? ie 34 wire cable with a twist between first & second floppy connector, or controller & floppy.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 3, by SyxxFtH8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had tried everything, before the twist, after the twist, as A as B, different cable, nothing was working.

Today I thought, why not just boot straight into DOS instead of booting W98 and try that.

Lo and behold, it's working perfectly fine in straight DOS, and I was able to write the startup and DOS disks for it!

Now I just have to install the new CMOS battery I bought, button it back up, and hopefully she'll boot into DOS for the first time in a long time!

PXL_20221116_135632737.MP-min.jpg
Filename
PXL_20221116_135632737.MP-min.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0