VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all!

I'm building an SS7 system using a Chaintech CT-5RSA2 board (ALi Aladdin V chipset). Whenever I try to run Quake II I get an orange screen with an hourglass mouse pointer and the system freezes. If I try to run Quake (doesn't matter if it's dosquake or GlQuake), it freezes at the console without any error message. I have not installed any patches or changed the MiniGL wrapper yet.

At the same time I have no issues running Unreal Gold, Final Reality and 3DMark 99.

The specs are as follows:

AMD K6-3+ (400ATZ running at 550 MHz/100 MHz bus)
128MB SDRAM (1 stick of PC-133 CL2 memory)
2x80GB Seagate Barracuda HDDs
PowerColor EvilKing III (Voodoo 3@166)
SoundBlaster 32 CT3930 (non-PnP)
Primax Soundstorm Wave M16C
3COM 3C905-TX network card

The software:

98lite 4.7pro — sleek version, Windows 98SE with Win95B Explorer
ULi intergrated drivers 2.13 (2.20 installer crashes on this system, but from what I've read it's to be expected)
AmigaMerlin drivers for Voodoo 3 ver 2.9
DirectX 7.0

What I've tried so far:
- changing memory (original 2x64MB PC-100 memory turned out to be faulty after a memtest)
- reinstalling the whole system
- tried latest reference 3DFX drivers for Voodoo 3.

What am I missing here?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 4, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-11-20, 00:12:

My instincts are heading towards the CD-ROM. Try -nocdaudio and -nosound to see if it'll initialize. Try other redbook audio games and see if they hardlock too.

Huh, it worked for Quake (both dos and gl), but not for Quake 2 (run also with -nocdaudio -nosound, but couldn't actually find proper command line options for Q2. Are they the same?). I did run both games from Daemon Tools (I don't think there's a way to get digital CD audio with AWE32) , but running them from actual CDs didn't fix anything.

And I definitely remember playing both games without CDs at all, so I guess it's an issue with the system, not games? Note I'm using Win98SE's built-in AWE32 drivers and haven't installed GUS drivers at all.

I also noticed that if I try to open Windows' Multimedia setup tab (where you select devices for your audio input and output) and then just try to press "ok", the system actually freezes.

Checked my BIOS, selected IRQ 5,7,9 and DMA 1,5,7 to be reserved for ISA. My SB32 uses 220,1,5,5,330, going to set up GUS as 240,7,7,7,7.

Wonder if I should install ALi's IDE drivers, actually.

There's also an option in my BIOS that says "PCI IDE IRQ map to", and you can select ISA, PCI-Auto, PCI Slot 1, PCI Slot 2. By default it's ISA. Should it be PCI-Auto? Google tells me I should probably only touch this setting if I have a PCI IDE controller.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 4, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-11-20, 01:50:

For quake2, try adding "+set cd_nocd 1"

Thanks so much for pointing me towards disk drives issues!

Fixed the issue by installing the latest version of IDE drivers (attached). So for now my drivers combination is ULi 2.13 and IDE 3.56. Also checked "fast boot" options in IDE utility and forced UltraDMA 33 for all drives — it does seem to speed up Windows boot time, but doesn't seem to affect disk transfers otherwise.

Quake and Quake 2 work now, so does Forsaken.

Attachments

• Filename
    v356.exe
    File size
    925.93 KiB
    Downloads
    29 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog