VOGONS

First post, by MrFiveThumbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a bit confused. The thing I recently bought as "Windows 2.0" appears to be a box of Windows 1.0x (or at least the UI in back of the box is clearly the style of Windows 1, and the system requirements seem to line up with 1.03 and 1.04), but can't find much online with the part number 050-050-323. The floppies say "Version 2.0" with other number on each (in order): 00056, 00057, 00383, 00058, 00059, 00060, 00384, 00061, and 00062.

Unfortunately I don't have a 5,25" floppy drive to check what's on the floppies, or do they even work. Has someone stuffed the wrong floppy disks to the box, or is this a version of windows 1 or 2?

0wFQguy.jpg

KtEBHXG.jpg

8OE3AZF.jpg

rLDhs7E.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. Back in the day, Microsoft offered an update/upgrade service.

If you sent in diskette #1 of your old Windows,
you got a discount for the new Windows.

My father experienced this with Windows 2, I recall.
He turned disk #1 over in a computer shop and got a new Windows 3.0 box for less money.

Maybe something similar happened here?
Perhaps the previous owner got a Windows 2.0 disk set via mail, after he sent Windows 1.0 diskettes back to MS? 🤷‍♂️

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by MrFiveThumbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your insight, that possibility definitely makes sense.

I’ll just add win 3.11 and 95 to have everything but what the box says in there, and call it good enough for me. Interesting find for less than 30€ nonetheless.