VOGONS

First post, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've heard you can slow down dos games by turning off the cashe but since it's an OEM bios they don't have these options. Is there any other way to do this?

Windows 98
Specs p3 450
OEM motherboard based on the Intel 440BX (Seattle) chip set
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dell-d … -xps-t___-t___r
256 mega of PC 100 ram
GeForce 3 ti 200
Soundblaster aw64

Thank you for your time.

Reply 1 of 3, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I had a computer like that I used MOSLO or similar tools to play DOS games. I don't think I had discovered DOSBox yet.

Is it possible to flash the Intel SE440BX-2 BIOS onto this board? Would there be any point doing this, or is the Intel BIOS also limited the same way?

Last edited by Errius on 2022-12-03, 05:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Disabling the L1 cache on that PIII CPU will make it way too slow except for very early 90s games. Nevertheless, look for SetMul which can disable both L1 and L2 caches without having to enter the BIOS setup.

Another option is Throttle, which isn't frequently mentioned but uses ACPI throttling which is supported by the 440BX chipset. It can also disable the L1 cache by default if the -C command line switch isn't entered. However, this solution is not a silver bullet.

Regarding software-based slowdowns, Mo'Slo never worked for me. The best one I used so far was AT-SLOW.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS