VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ran into this problem by chance. On my Windows XP machine, I tried to make a .bat file that would launch SimCity 2000, but the startup dialogs appeared in strange places on the screen, and the game window never appeared. The game itself gets stuck running somewhere in the background and could be seen in the Task Manager gobbling up CPU time.

I know that Windows bends over backwards to support this game, so maybe there are some vestiges of strange compatibility shims that I have inadvertently upset. Can anyone confirm this on their machine?

I am using SimCity 2000 Special Edition. All you have to do is cd into the root folder of the game and try to run SIMCITY.EXE from there.

I've tried a few ways of trying to get it to run from a bat file without success. For example, "cmd /c simcity.exe" and "start simcity.exe".

Reply 2 of 2, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure this is the Windows 95 version. It runs just fine when I run the .exe directly. It's only an issue when I run it from the command line or a bat file. It should be a 32-bit program and not a 16-bit one, as it runs on 64-bit Windows as well.