Rank

Hello! I built an old PC. The specs are:

Intel PIII 600E
ASUS P3B-F
Intel 82440BX
512MB RAM
32MB Asus AGP-V7700PRO
Soundblaster CT4500 AWE64

I've got a CD-ROM drive and a 1tb HDD attached to a PCI to SATA card. I've got a collection of games and some of them have ISO files. I was going to extract all the ISO's to a folder and use FakeCD with batch files to "insert the disc" but I just discovered a suite of software by Jason Hood (http://adoxa.altervista.org/shsucdx/ and http://github.com/adoxa/shsucd/blob/master/readme.txt) that can allegedly "mount" an ISO as a virtual drive within DOS.

This would be amazing! But I'm so confused as to how to get it working. It seems like it should be really straightforward (and to many of you, it probably is!) but I've been out of the DOS scene for thirty years and I'm just freakin' lost, man.

There's a post from '11 by megatron-uk here on the forums that sort of details what needs to happen:

A typical batch file would be: […]
Show full quote

A typical batch file would be:

SHSUCDHD /D:F:\ISO\ALBION.ISO
SHSUCDX /D:SHSU-CDH
CD F:\GAMES\RPG\ALBION
ALBION
SHSUCDX /U
SHSUCDHD /U

But I've tried this numerous ways and it's just not working and I was hoping for some help getting it to work.

Aside from adding some essential DOS software to the FreeDOS utilities folder and adding the game collection to the drive, I have a bone-stock FreeDOS 1.3 install. I've got the SHSUCD executables in my DOS directory so they can be called upon from wherever, and I *believe*, though I'm not certain, that FreeDOS uses SHSUCD as the default CD-ROM driver. I'm seeing lots of info about editing fdauto.bat and fdconfig.sys, but I just don't want to screw anything up. It has taken enough time and effort just to get this thing configured to boot up properly with the 1tb drive.

I'll take any help I can get 😁

Reply 1 of 2, by EduBat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That batch file does not seem correct.
Let's say you have the ISO file in the root of the C: drive, in my example I have FD13BNS.ISO...
You need to type:
LH SHSUCDHD /F:C:\FD13BNS.ISO
SHSUCDX /D:SHSU-CDH /I

It will then tell you which is the new drive letter associated with your new virtual CD drive.