VOGONS

First post, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, somewhere along the way, I unknowingly installed something (VoyMedia? Whatever that is?) that took over associations for just about every multimedia file type, including, it seems, CD autorun, even for CD-ROMs. I've restored most of these from another relatively fresh W98 installation by backing up the relevant registry entry, including other CD media like audio CDs, but CD-ROM autorun still doesn't seem to be working, and I can't seem to find a similarly clear association entry for CD-ROM autorun in the file types list, nor in the registry.

How can I restore the association so that my CDs will autorun again?
I need to know either the right listing in the file types settings, the right entry(/ies) in the registry, or perhaps another specific way to reset only this part.
I'd rather not do a whole fresh Windows reinstall just for this, ideally; I'm quite set up with a lot of customisation and games installed that would take a long time to reinstall and reconfigure.

(And just to stave off the obvious question, yes, "Auto-insert notification" is ticked in the Device Manager properties for this CD/DVD drive).

Reply 2 of 8, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there no registry entry I can copy over or something? I'd rather do that, since I don't really see myself needing anything else out of this extra software. I appreciate the recommendation though.

Reply 3 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On Device Manager when checking the properties of a CD drive, there is an option to toggle Autorun which is called "Auto insert notification" and it is located in Settings tab.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 8, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As mentioned in my opening post, I have that toggle enabled already, yet Autorun is still not working. But thanks.

Reply 5 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TweakUI is only a few kb and official (if unsupported) MS product if that worries you. Personally I install it on all my XP and below PC's as it has a few nice settings.
That said it is just a nice GUI to change registry settings and can respect the minimalist approach with installing stuff.

Quick google found this?
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000130.htm

Reply 6 of 8, by vintageonthemoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know this post is old, but anyway i also recently has issues with autorun on my windows 98 SE pc, using Daemon tools on Drive D: and Disc Drive on Drive E: (easier using daemon virtual disc as the first drive otherwise most games will complain about missing cd or audio issues) at first everything was working perfectly fine then for some weird reason the autorun stopped working altogether both virtual drive and the actual physical cd drive. i did not install or run anything that changed the systems config or settings, the games themselves still work fine manually but not automatically. i did fiddle around in device manager and no it didn't fix the problem. but the TweakUI that "chinny22" recommend did actually fix it! now autorun is working again.

it was very easy and simple to install (win98 will not detect it automatically, need to be installed manually) then in the "paranoia" section, check-box the "play data CD's automatically" then click apply then restart pc. afterwards the aurorun should work perfectly fine. it did for me. cause i do not want to re-install Win 98 AGAIN, and playing around with registry is a huge risk.

Reply 7 of 8, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think Autorun is "associative" in the sense of file type handling in Windows. The system has to search for Autorun.inf on the root, and parse its contents, among which is typically the choice of executable to launch (e.g. Setup.exe, Autorun.exe, Game.exe,...etc).

I just can't see how file associations can break this, unless you reassociated .exe files to something else... in which case you'd have much bigger problems that just Autorun 🙂

That being said, I remember back in the days that Autorun was indeed very easy to break, and I often had it broken until I do another fresh Windows install. I suggest you search for whatever could break Autorun rather than file associations.

One question that could guide you further: when inserting a CD, does the drive's icon change to a custom icon? Or does it stay on the standard CD drive icon?

[Edit: just noticed the OP was years ago... now I look more like an idiot]

Reply 8 of 8, by vintageonthemoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

when the autorun stopped working it's just standard CD drive icon