VOGONS

Stuffing new Win98SE computer: ideas?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 98, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, my issues are on two Win98SE computers. Maybe you're not doing what I'm doing: one problem is that it doesn't extract to the right folder across drives, and another is a problem with the command-line version: on certain files, if using LZMA2 in maximum compression, it locks up, and I have to close the window. 🙁 It doesn't lock up when using other archive formats or compression techniques, though.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 83 of 98, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm at my mother's house now, but my computer stopped working. 🙁 First, I was compressing a Zip disk using DriveSpace, and it got stuck at 10% too long. I eventually checked the drive's LEDs, and it wasn't busy. I tried the mouse but didn't see the cursor. I tried to reboot, but, every time, I get a blank screen while starting Windows. It appears for a few seconds normally but now just hangs there. When I press Caps Lock, the LED on the keyboard turns on and off. Also, Ctrl-Alt-Del restarts the system. What can cause this? How can I fix this?

Reply 84 of 98, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try something like abacus reparo with a figure 8 wand flourish?

Just kidding, but Win9x will often sort itself out if you boot it into safe mode, then reboot normally.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 87 of 98, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If none of the hard drives are using drivespace, I'd boot with a floppy then rename drvspace.ini to drvtrash.ini in case it left that screwed up. (You might need to use attrib -r -a -s -h to see it and be able to modify it)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 88 of 98, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well...it only has one hard drive, and it's way too large to compress. I will try to boot to the command prompt and do the assignment now.

Reply 92 of 98, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be, unless it puts it in the path where the commands are. Sorry, brain flaking on differences between DOS 6.22 and Win9x drivespace implementations.

Reply 95 of 98, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it's DriveSpace, as I just disabled it in MSDOS.SYS and recently dblspace. 🙁 I've just started checking out the config files and will get back to you.

Reply 96 of 98, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I extracted and attached the config files. I had to rename some of the files, as they at first didn't register on my Win11/64 laptop. 🙁

Attachments

• Filename
    WIN.INI
    File size
    6.93 KiB
    Downloads
    23 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    SYSTEM.INI
    File size