VOGONS

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! I would like to install to a small partition on a Win98SE minitower with a huge hard drive--over 100GB. I heard that DOS only supports hard drives <2GB. If I resize and move the Win98 partition out of the way, can I create a small partition for DOS, install it there and have the Win98SE setup read and write that as a specific drive letter, one I assign after what I have? If so, what software can I use to do this? I used to have DOS 6.2 setup disks but don't know where they are now, and I had to make a bootleg copy of one of them, as it stopped working.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 1 of 12, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

how much over 100gb? over 128mib and you will have to apply a patch for 48bit lba support. r loew released a patch (all his software is now freeware) or you can use bhdd v3.1.

the 2gb partition limit only applies to fat16. msdos 7.1 or later will support fat32. also, win98se can dual boot msdos 7.1 and windows on the same partition simply by editing the msdos.sys file.

Reply 2 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot: probably over 150GB. I wanted to have an alternate DOS setup on the system and allocate up to 500MB to a DOS setup. But I'm thinking that maybe I should just use the DOS mode from Win98SE. I miss both a DOS laptop that went missing and a MS-DOS/Win3.1 MultiMedia system I had in the mid 90's. That's why I'm pursuing this. 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to let your Win98SE partition start at cylinder 1022.
This gives 8 GB for DOS primary & extended partition, rest for Win98SE.
There also should be space for a Win2k/XP partition and / or a boot manager within the first 8 GB.

Reply 4 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay. What tool do I use to handle, resize and move partitions? The DOS mode doesn't need to access the Win8SE partition, but I want the DOS partition to be accessible from the Win98SE mode using a user-defined drive letter so that I can access it without changing current drive assignments.

Reply 5 of 12, by netdemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can use Partition Magic Dos version for partitioning, or early version of GParted (assuming your machine can boot from CD). I use GRUB4DOS as OS switcher. You can easly switch active partition and hide other one.

Reply 6 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you. I believe I already downloaded the Windows version of Partition Magic. And about hiding the inactive partition, I want the DOS partition to appear in Windows 98 but not the other way around, and I have a CD-ROM, parallel Zip100 and RAM drives assigned under Windows and don't want to reassign them when making the new drive.

Reply 7 of 12, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no need to hide the DOS partition.
As fas as I know you cannot change the drive letters of HDD partitions in Windows 9x
CDROM drive letters can be changed

Reply 8 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't want to hide the DOS partition from Win98SE. I do want to hide the Win98SE partition from DOS, though. I really want my mother to find my missing DOS laptop, though. It is limited and has no hard drive, but I still like it. 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, so how do I set the DOS partition's drive letter under Win98SE to, say, H:?

Reply 12 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay. I guess I need either to find the old, missing DOS laptop or simply use Win98's DOS mode, then. I thank all of you for your help. 😀