VOGONS

First post, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm have a issue with screamer 2 in dos and win 98 when using the 3dfx patch the game runs slow and the audio is choppy. I tried tinkering with the settings but nothing seemed to help. I got the patch from Phil's computer lab website.

Here is the spec of the pc
200mhz pentiem mmx
64mb ram
Awe 64
Diamond voodoo 1 4mb pci
40gb hdd
Windows 98 se and dos 6.22 dual boot

Reply 1 of 3, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So is it just the CD audio that's choppy or the sound effects as well?
Did you try it with no cd audio and no sound card configured? Which executable did you try? s23dfx.exe would probably work best for you. How does it run in software mode? Have you tried in dos mode with empty autoexec.bat or config.sys?

Reply 2 of 3, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same problem with Screamer 2 and this probably is just a bad 3dfx patch. By bad i mean badly coded. There are two patches, i don't remember their file names, one for voodoo 1 (statically linked) and one for voodoo 2 and newer (using glide2x.ovl). The voodoo 1 patch gives results as OP noticed, the voodoo 2 patch will crash with message similar to "voodoo board not detected", running game in software mode works fine.

Reply 3 of 3, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have your answer, but I am struggling with Screamer 2 as well. I am running on a Voodoo3 3000. My issue is that I get no sound from my Soundblaster Pro 2.0. If I try to detect it, the settings client crashes. I can eventually get sound detected by setting a soundblaster card that is not correct. After I do that the game refuses to boot. Black screen very quickly, then immediately closes. I have yet to try Phils Patch. Just posting here in case someone has some information that will help me as well.