VOGONS

First post, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Getting diablo 2 going with glide and eax is literally the game that motivated me to get into retro hardware... and I cannot get it to work!

I had it installed and working in my main retro system- p3 1ghz, v5 5500, sblive 5.1, ide-micro sd storage, 512 mb ram system, via 693A/B chipset. But at the same point in Act 3 it would crash over and over because it of some sprite-related error. After tons of searches and trouble-shooting, the closest answer I could come up with was a few others mentioning an issue related to the via chipset. Reinstalling didn't help, couldn't identify any other problems with the system. I also downloaded new cd images instead of using my CD-ROM copy thinking maybe it was damage to the disk(s). When I used the isos, the game wouldn't even install- during the LoD expansion installation the install software does an integrity check of the mpq files it builds and would tell me that "bad data file detected during installation". It suggests reinstalling then contacting tech support (lol).

So I obviously built a new system! p2 450, v5 5500, sblive 5.1, ide-micro sd storage, 512 mb ram, 440BX chipset system this time. Now, I cannot get the game to install at all. If I use my cd's, I get the "bad data file detected during installation" error. If I use the downloaded images, I get the same exact error. So I've gone backwards haha.

I'm kind of at my wits end- I have no idea what the problem could be or what to try. On my to-do list is trying to install the game on the system without any video/sound drivers installed yet. I could also try installing a traditional spinning HDD and installing onto it.

Anyone recognize this issue? Have any ideas?

(I particularly want to play version 1.09d so that precludes something like buying it on gog and just copying/pasting the installation onto the retro system. Afaik I have no choice but to install via CD-ROM/image).

Reply 1 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My money is hardware/driver issue if you can't even install the game!

We can rule out motherboard as you have tried both a VIA and intel based system and therefore probably something common between the 2 builds.
Possibly the IDE cable but my money is on the micro SD doing something funny and if you install on good old traditional spinning rust it'll work.

I'm also assuming you did a clean install of Windows when you swapped motherboard?

Reply 4 of 5, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-23, 11:03:

Possibly the IDE cable but my money is on the micro SD doing something funny and if you install on good old traditional spinning rust it'll work.

This! I had the same problems in a much newer system: Abit IC7-MAX3 would not recognize a SSD connected to the SATA port but would see it if connected to the PATA port using an adapter - however the problems when installing XP and games were colossal! Random reboots; refusal to install - including Diablo 2, random freezes. Changed to a period correct WD 250gb SATA - all problems went away and the system is running fine ever since!

Reply 5 of 5, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gentlepoke wrote on 2023-05-23, 22:24:

I had the same issue on my computer (Windows 98SE) when trying to install Diablo II. I can boot it up tomorrow, attempt to install Diablo II on it and see if I can help with the troubleshooting?

Thankfully I figured it out for my system- I got it to install without any soundcard or chipset drivers installed on the system. Just basics (winrar, daemon, usb drivers, voodoo drivers, ie, directx 😎. I didn't troubleshoot whether it was the chipset, the aureal 2041, or the sblive 5.1 drivers. (the soundcards were the same as the other system, but the aureal was running the standard monster drivers instead of 2041).

Out of an abundance of caution I also popped an 80gb spinning IDE disk in and installed the game to the HDD. It's the only piece of software on the HDD 🤣- but I played some yesterday and not only did it play with eax (installed sb drivers after) in glide, no issues, I made it past the place where I had constant sprite crashes on the previous via system.