VOGONS

First post, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an MSI K9NU Neo AM2 motherboard with Nvidia M1697 chipset. I've always had a problem with it. Well, when a flash drive is connected, Windows 98SE loads ten times longer. I have all the latest drivers installed but the problem persists. Maybe you know a way to fix it?

Reply 1 of 8, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does this happen when you don't have the flash drive connected while powering up? I do that on my Win98SE system when powering it up so the flash drive doesn't mess with the other drive letters.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 3 of 8, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stupid question: do you need the flash drive connected while starting the computer? I would think that you don't and then could simply wait until the computer is finished starting up before plugging in the drive.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 5 of 8, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maryoo wrote on 2023-06-09, 14:56:

No, it only happens when the flash drive is plugged in. The same thing happens with another board with the nforce chipset.

it might be some subtle BIOS thing as it sets about recognising devices, or maybe an even subtler interplay between BIOS, board and win 98. I've noticed some computers, even one which seemed to think a USB keyboard was some fascinating device and just waited ages when it was in, but a ps/2 keyboard was not given this special treatment 😀 i remember taking an intuitive guess that the bios was thinking it might try booting from the keyboard and swapping it for ps2

its interesting, but without lots of testing it would be tricky to find out why let alone stop it - so i guess i'd just try and remember each time to not have it plugged in

Reply 7 of 8, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maryoo wrote on 2023-06-09, 15:33:

It's not the keyboard's fault because I'm using PS/2. I've also checked all the settings in the BIOS and it didn't help. Maybe Microsoft released a patch to fix this situation?

i wasn't saying it was the keyboard in your case, just that i encountered a PC that would appear to try and boot from a USB keyboard and that USB devices seem able to trick some computers into booting slowly or not at all

BIOS settings are unlikely to help though it was worth a look, its just a somewhat mysterious 'behaviour' due to subtleties that would need through testing

of course maybe someone here has had the exact same experience and knows a good solution to it 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had many Windows 98 machines but only those with nvidia chipsets had this problem. It must be some hardware incompatibility. I added an USB card and there is no problem with longer loading of the system.