VOGONS

First post, by Kitty Trouble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some great help from the people here, I've gotten USB working on my device, which runs Windows 98 SE.

The default drivers + NUSB36e worked fine getting my USB flash drive working. I also have a Mad Dog multimedia dominator (external USB floppy drive) which works via USB in Windows mode.

Are their drivers that will allow me to use my USB flash drive and USB floppy drive in DOS? It's not as big of an issue as getting USB working period, but as I plan to use DOS mode a lot, I'm just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for where to find DOS drivers if they exist.

Reply 1 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Go to the web site https://dosprograms.info.tt/indexall.htm, go to the Utilities section then scroll down to and click "USB DOS drivers." Is this helpful?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 2 of 6, by Kitty Trouble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

USBDRIVE does detect and assign a letter to my USB flash drive, however, it isn't assigning my USB floppy drive a letter.

USBDEVIC does list it as a UFI FLoppy CBI from vend TEAC (I can list all the specifics if it's needed) - I will say that under interfaces it says "Owned" and the root hub and SCSI storage says "Y" for owned, but not the floppy. So I’m guessing what that means is that it’s detected as a device but there’s no driver that can read it?

I do have a driver disk but that's just for windows 98, I think.

Reply 6 of 6, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kitty Trouble wrote on 2023-08-08, 03:03:

SCSI compatible devices, and the floppy drive is UFI

UFI should be an extension to standard SCSI-based USB MSC that adds the (absymally minimal) features to give some compatibility for a strictly CHS-only format, available in various geometries, that needs low-level formatting on a famously LBA-only standard 😀

Generally USB floppy drive support is left to the firmware as part of the "USB legacy support" (apparently more common than PS/2 keyboard and mouse emulation with which is usually conflated!)