VOGONS

WWF In Your House no in-game music (Windows 98SE)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to try out WWF In Your House, so I found a cue/bin rom online, burnt it to a CD (making sure I selected the cue, not the bin), and installed it on my Windows 98 Laptop.

It installed without any issues, but when I played it, there was no music. I double checked to see if Windows 98 recognised the audio CD portion of the disc, and it does, and even plays in Windows Media Player. It just doesn't play in game.

I've tried multiple isos of the game, some even give checksum errors in ImgBurn, but even the ones that don't still don't play the music. I made sure I set the audio drivers accordingly on all of the installs I've attempted.

So what do I do? Are these just bad rips or do I need to configure something to get it working?

Reply 1 of 5, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> so I found a cue/bin rom online

Shiver me timbers.

Spoiler

Always remember, on these forums we gotta pretend like piracy doesn't exist.

> I've tried multiple isos

.iso files don't/cannot contain redbook audio.

Does your original disc show the same issue?

Reply 4 of 5, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, seems the mods have decided to leave this thread up anyways, so let's try to shoot some trouble.

First thing to check, open up the cue file you created from your disc. Does it mention the audio tracks, or just a data track?

If that checks out then skim this a discussion about a similar problem. I suspect it might be the elated to the "digital audio" setting that you should see when using WDM drivers, i.e. Windows/WMP is transferring the audio track "through the IDE cable" while the game, being a DOS title, has no concept of that expects the data to go through the separate audio cable. Though, seeing how you're on a laptop, I have no idea whether such a cable is even supposed to be installed. Look into what settings/alternate drivers may be available to you regarding this.

Have you found other DOS titles' CD audio to be working correctly, i.e. is this a problem specific to this game or all of them? If you have one available, you could also try a different title that actually checks the audio tracks as part of its copy protection or whatever, just to make sure DOS titles can see them in the first place. Off the top of my head I can only think of ROA: Shadows over Riva but I'm positive there are many others. WWFIYH simply doesn't care at all.

Reply 5 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No mod was on duty 😉
Thread closed due to software piracy

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper