VOGONS

First post, by PDXTony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks!

May I please ask the community what the best site for uploading vintage disk images to?
Is it truly still https://archive.org/? Or has something better come along?

I was just given about 300 3.5 and 5.25 floppy disks and will be going through them very soon.
My goal is uploading images of them for things that haven't already been archived.

Thank you!
Tony

Reply 1 of 4, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, Tony,

Yes, it seems that archive.org is the best place to upload original disk images. I've a couple of original manufacturer's disks (CD-ROMs and diskettes) with drivers, etc. that can't be found anywhere on the internet, but I don't have account and I don't like the terms of archive.org to make one, so if you decided to upload your disk images there, I can send you them through free one-download or keep-one-month file-sharing servers, of course, if you agree to upload a couple more files.

Congrats for the endeavor!

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 2 of 4, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm interested in your disk images. I have a Win98SE tower at my mother's house, and I want to stuff it with software. 😀 I probably won't have any need of drivers or other hardware-specific stuff, but do you have among your disks any games or some other fun stuff? Maybe a drawing program or a special-purpose database or PIM?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 3 of 4, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harry Potter wrote on 2023-10-27, 14:13:

I'm interested in your disk images. I have a Win98SE tower at my mother's house, and I want to stuff it with software. 😀 I probably won't have any need of drivers or other hardware-specific stuff, but do you have among your disks any games or some other fun stuff? Maybe a drawing program or a special-purpose database or PIM?

I think I have a couple of original game CD/DVD disk from videocard's bundles (recently somewhere among my catalogues with discs I saw original Ghost Recon DVD, but don't remember which version as I'm not much into gaming and never played it). For me the more important is to preserve original disks with old equipment manufacturer's drivers, tools, etc. as they seems much more difficult to find in digital copy format these days. If you have an archive.org account and still you're interested in uploading of such a disk images, just write here and I'll make some disk images ASAP.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"