VOGONS

First post, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wondering if someone here with some debug/assembly/hacking knowledge could help me, as per the title.

Long story short, I am collecting software from a now defunct company called Evolution Electronics. They offered shareware versions of their software on their website, which used the softSENTRY system to provide a full 30 day trial which could be unlocked with a registration key.

softSENTRY is a very flawed protection system; when you load the application it jumps to the protection, then once it succeeds jumps to the main program. Therefore, it is possible to change the initial jump to just jump to the program, completely bypassing the protection.

This has been documented online for 32-bit applications, which even I was able to figure out and use for some later Evolution Electronics software.

I am however completely stumped trying to do the same for one of their earlier products, Sound Studio. As it's 16-bit, I cannot easily debug it, and there are no guides on how to go about bypassing it.

If anyone here would be interested in having a go, I'd be forever grateful. I can provide a copy of the software as it's somewhat difficult to find.

It's a bit of an oddball application as it's not for Win3.x; it's designed for Windows 9x and has a 32-bit launcher stub that somehow works with the main 16-bit executable? I'm not sure how it all works, but I'm curious to know how.

Mods, please delete this post if this is not allowed; I checked the rules and couldn't see anything that suggested this would be unacceptable; the software and the protection itself are both obsolete and effectively 'abandonware' by now.

Reply 2 of 20, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the encouragement - I really hope someone with knowledge in this area can assist as this is the last bit of software I need to complete the software I've accrued, and I'd like nothing more than to share this pack on the Internet Archive, as I truly believe that even today this is excellent software, especially for those wishing to compose on older systems.

The actual setup file for v1.11 is here: https://archive.org/download/darkbasic-pcacti … soundstudio.exe - I could only find it on this DarkBasic demo disc of all places...

There's also a patch to bring the version to v1.16, available again via archive.org from an archived copy of Evolution Electronics' website: https://web.archive.org/web/20030620220934/ht … pub/ss_sptc.exe

Cheers 😀

Reply 3 of 20, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've yet to make any progress with this, but there is at least a way to reset the trial, by deleting a file and a couple of registry keys. The following can be used to reset the app before launching it.

If anyone with any assembly/disassembly skills is able to help, please do! 😀

@ECHO OFF
SET K=[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
ECHO REGEDIT4>R.REG
ECHO %K%{WfDekggPcd}]>>R.REG
ECHO %K%SystemAppIDs]>>R.REG
REGEDIT /S R.REG
DEL R.REG
SET F=%WINDIR%\SYSTEM\ACCESS.CTL
ATTRIB -A -H -S %F%
DEL %F%
START SOUNDSTU.EXE

Reply 5 of 20, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK think I have it.

Query screen is called at 33BA, can be NOPed out.

Check is done at 33FC-3412. 3427 will kick you out. 3416 will call the program and exit afterwards.

ss2.jpg
Filename
ss2.jpg
File size
73.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
SS1.jpg
Filename
SS1.jpg
File size
76.65 KiB
Views
File license

Will do the patch tomorrow...

Reply 6 of 20, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Filename
soundstudio.part1.rar
File size
1.9 MiB
Downloads
27 downloads
File license
Filename
soundstudio.part2.rar
File size
1.9 MiB
Downloads
35 downloads
File license
Filename
soundstudio.part3.rar
File size
1.9 MiB
Downloads
31 downloads
File license
Filename
soundstudio.part4.rar
File size
684.3 KiB
Downloads
30 downloads
File license

Verglichen werden SoundStu2.exe und SoundStu2_org.exe.
00012EAC: 90 83
00012EAD: 90 3E
00012EAE: 90 56
00012EAF: 90 00
00012EB0: 90 02
00012EB1: 90 0F
00012EB2: 90 84
00012EB3: 90 22
00012EB4: 90 00
00012EB5: 90 83
00012EB6: 90 7E
00012EB7: 90 FE
00012EB8: 90 01
00012EB9: 90 0F
00012EBA: 90 85
00012EBB: 90 1A
00012EBC: 90 00
00012EBD: 90 83
00012EBE: 90 3E
00012EBF: 90 80
00012EC0: 90 00
00012EC1: 90 00
00012EC2: 90 0F
00012EC3: 90 84
00012EC4: 90 11
00012EC5: 90 00
00015214: CB 57

Last edited by Predator99 on 2024-01-06, 09:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 20, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote on 2024-01-04, 21:52:

OK think I have it.

Query screen is called at 33BA, can be NOPed out.

Check is done at 33FC-3412. 3427 will kick you out. 3416 will call the program and exit afterwards.

Good job, Predator99. What is this DOS tool you've used for disassembly?

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 8 of 20, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-01-05, 15:41:

Good job, Predator99. What is this DOS tool you've used for disassembly?

It looks the same as Turbo Debugger from Borland (but I do not remember that Turbo Debugger has ever recognized Pentium Pro class CPU).

@Predator99:
Nice job, for a 16-bit Windows 3.x program this Sound Studio is quite powerful (and nice looking!).

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 10 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-01-05, 16:26:

[...]
@Predator99:
Nice job, for a 16-bit Windows 3.x program this Sound Studio is quite powerful (and nice looking!).

I tried on 3.11 , installer says it's not supported OS - I think Sound Studio GOLD is the one that runs under 3x: https://web.archive.org/web/20001011200339/ht … oreinfo/ssg.htm

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 20, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aaaaah, good old Turbo Debugger. Totally forgot it.

keropi wrote on 2024-01-05, 18:02:

I tried on 3.11 , installer says it's not supported OS - I think Sound Studio GOLD is the one that runs under 3x: https://web.archive.org/web/20001011200339/ht … oreinfo/ssg.htm

You missed that:

RichB93 wrote on 2023-12-22, 16:24:

It's a bit of an oddball application as it's not for Win3.x; it's designed for Windows 9x and has a 32-bit launcher stub that somehow works with the main 16-bit executable? I'm not sure how it all works, but I'm curious to know how.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 12 of 20, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-01-05, 18:02:
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-01-05, 16:26:

[...]
@Predator99:

You are correct! In fact I have a boxed copy of this - it's a cracking piece of software. See the attached image.

Predator99 wrote on 2024-01-05, 14:35:
soundstudio.part1.rar soundstudio.part2.rar soundstudio.part3.rar soundstudio.part4.rar […]
Show full quote

soundstudio.part1.rar
soundstudio.part2.rar
soundstudio.part3.rar
soundstudio.part4.rar

SoundStu2-cracked.zip

Fantastic stuff! Thank you SO much Predator99 - I was trying for a LONG time to make sense of the code using Ghidra but I just ended up with a headache after a couple of hours haha.

This was the final bit of software I was looking for to complete a collection I've been working on for a few months now.

Attachments

• SSG.png
    Filename
    SSG.png
    File size
    354.59 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot of Sound Studio Gold running on WFW 3.11
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by RichB93 on 2024-01-06, 00:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you identify what are "full" programs and what is "shareware" and remove all links to any "full" programs? Thanks.
There is no such thing as so called "abandonware"

I haven't looked at the attachments, If the cracks include a modified file from a "full" program then that is copyright infringment although possibly might legally be allowed to share the unmodified file if it's not a "substantial part" although only the courts can say for sure. As far as the DMCA is concerned for the U.S, the user is allowed to circumvent the DRM if the program can no longer be effectively controlled so "trafficking" in such tools is allowed but not if they include copyrighted files. A patcher or xdelta diff is likely better off legally since they can in no way be considered a "substantial part" and they are explicity for circumventing the DRM (that is no longer effectively controlled) but the user would still have had to own the program so a statement as such would be a good CYA.

I've been researching this for quite awhile for providing methods of removing the DRM from games and making that information public without getting in trouble for doing so. As everyone knows it's a fools games since it's a confusing quagmire (purposely so) and anyone can be sued for anything but the above is what I've been able to determine from prior cases. Archive.org doesn't give a crap and has an army of lawyers so if "your" files are there then you are good, just don't link here.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-01-06, 00:46. Edited 16 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 20, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2024-01-06, 00:07:

Can you identify what are "full" programs and what is "shareware" and remove all links to any "full" programs? Thanks.

Apologies, this entire thread is bypassing a shareware timer as per the original post so should probably be deleted. I have removed the link I previously posted.

Reply 15 of 20, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I have removed the patched file and replaced by a comparision. Should not be difficult to apllied by anybode interested.

The remaining RAR is the corresponding shareware version and should be OK to be distributed.

Reply 16 of 20, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2024-01-06, 00:07:
Can you identify what are "full" programs and what is "shareware" and remove all links to any "full" programs? Thanks. There is […]
Show full quote

I haven't looked at the attachments, If the cracks include a modified file from a "full" program then that is copyright infringment although possibly might legally be allowed to share the unmodified file if it's not a "substantial part" although only the courts can say for sure. As far as the DMCA is concerned for the U.S, the user is allowed to circumvent the DRM if the program can no longer be effectively controlled so "trafficking" in such tools is allowed but not if they include copyrighted files. A patcher or xdelta diff is likely better off legally since they can in no way be considered a "substantial part" and they are explicity for circumventing the DRM (that is no longer effectively controlled) but the user would still have had to own the program so a statement as such would be a good CYA.

I've been researching this for quite awhile for providing methods of removing the DRM from games and making that information public without getting in trouble for doing so. As everyone knows it's a fools games since it's a confusing quagmire (purposely so) and anyone can be sued for anything but the above is what I've been able to determine from prior cases. Archive.org doesn't give a crap and has an army of lawyers so if "your" files are there then you are good, just don't link here.

Hey!

Sorry for being so quiet. As much as I'm a bit frustrated given the software is from a now defunct company, I do understand why you have to be so careful - the last thing I want is to bring a beloved site into legal disrepute! My frustration isn't with you and you make fair points.

Given your explanation in your post, I have created a patcher which does not contain any original code- it will merely patch v1.16 to bypass the shareware timer. If you are agreeable, I am happy to post it here for people who require it, however if this is not permissible I understand.

Reply 17 of 20, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still it is unclear for me, why for example it is allowed original or modded BIOS-dumps to be uploaded here, but it's not allowed to upload abandoned software (OK, I'll not call it "abandonware"). As "abandoned software" I mean such a software with no support and updates, no existing company that created it, no way to buy it or to pay for registration.

Reply 18 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-01-10, 12:12:

Still it is unclear for me, why for example it is allowed original or modded BIOS-dumps to be uploaded here, but it's not allowed to upload abandoned software (OK, I'll not call it "abandonware"). As "abandoned software" I mean such a software with no support and updates, no existing company that created it, no way to buy it or to pay for registration.

Offtopic. Make your own thread for your concern so that people can spout their own beliefs on the subject.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 20, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2024-01-10, 15:04:

Offtopic. Make your own thread for your concern so that people can spout their own beliefs on the subject.

Sorry. I don't see "general/common tales" section.