VOGONS

First post, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heya,

something that made me smile today.. I recorded a small gameplay clip of Tetris for Windows from my 486, and had a funny observation in their Help file 😀

Thought to share here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58YiU-4jUp8

Nevertheless, thinking back I find that the Tetris in Windows 3.x was *the* version of Tetris that I played as a kid. (never had a NES, only a 386)

I was really fond of its graphics, even though they look quite "primitive".

In addition to the text "bug" in the Help file, now as an adult I find there are other issues with the game:
- game pieces spawn one row too low, effectively making the gameplay area only 10x19 and not 10x20.
- pieces are moved at the regular typematic repeat rate of the keyboard, making gameplay dependant on your repeat rate,
- the next piece to drop disappears for ~second whenever you drop a piece, just when your attention would be at looking at the next piece to fall
- the falling piece can still be many places to the left or right as one wants right when it is about to hit a piece on the board, making it possible to "slide" at the hard levels (not sure if a bug, or intentional "make the game easier".. although I got a lot of mis-slides due to this behavior as well)

What I find nice is that you can cheese the game by pausing it with P, and it still shows the whole board and the falling piece, so at the very difficult stages you can pause the game at the start of each piece to give yourself time to think.

The level progress behavior of changing the level frame art instead of the piece colors is much nicer than on the NES where advancing a level changes the piece colors (that feels like a dull graphic)

Maybe not the best version of all times, but still my favorite.

What's your go-to version of Tetris on the PC? (if you play/played it)

Reply 2 of 19, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Coming from a GameBoy to my first PC i already had a ton of Tetris played in my life.
And i think the gameboy version of tetris is pretty good. Basic but good.
So i was not really interested in regular Tetris clones.
But one day my Dad came home with a Diskette he got from a friend. On this diskette were 2 Programs.

Banner - A tool to make Banners... I think my parents regretted it giving this to me because we had a dot matrix printer... Banners took hours to print. At least the banners i made as a 12 year old 😁 .

And

Blockout. A 3D Tetris. Blockout was really hard for my small brain but it made a lot of fun.
You can try it online here:
https://www.retrogames.cz/play_318-DOS.php

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 3 of 19, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blockout.

But if it doesn't count as Tetris, then probably Tetris Pro - with SVGA graphics and GUS music.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 19, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My preferred version of Tetris was the Macintosh version. The Gameboy version was also good.

Then, I also remember the multiplayer version called Tetrinet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TetriNET) which was super super fun to play with friends at LAN parties.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 6 of 19, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Acid Tetris:
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Acid_Tetris_1998

Great visuals, awesome music and I like the smiley face reacting to the moves you make.

Tetris Evolution on the Xbox 360 is also amazing. Played that against three people over Christmas via Splitscreen mode.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 7 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I first played Tetris on a friends gameboy from time to time, that music is burned into my memory and still my favourite version.
but I spent more time playing this version which was installed on the school computers....and "followed" me home and onto our 486.

Reply 8 of 19, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I wish to play Tetris, I'd play one of those versions:
- Atari Tetris (Arcade).
- Gameboy Tetris.
- Varmint's Eittris.

Varmint's Eittris is a blast to play with friends. Up to 4 people local multiplayer (I've played three on same keyboard), and a vast array of "weapons" to use against your friends (i.e.: invert keys, or make all their pieces S or Z for a time).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 10 of 19, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lots of good ones here, that Acid Tetris plays really well!

Now that I think about it, I actually may have played the DOS Blockout even before Tetris itself. We didn't have a NES or a Gameboy, but I do recall playing that EGA Blockout in DOS, and we only got Windows a bit later.

As a small kid, of course I was really terrible in Blockout.. now is a good time to give it another go!

Reply 11 of 19, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clb wrote on 2024-01-18, 21:00:

Heya,

something that made me smile today.. I recorded a small gameplay clip of Tetris for Windows from my 486, and had a funny observation in their Help file 😀

Hey, that's the version of Tetris that came with the first volume of the Microsoft Entertainment Pack for Windows, right?

It's actually a 16-bit Windows application, and I remember playing it in Windows 3.0 on my Dad's Olivetti M24 in that computer's proprietary 640x400 monochrome mode. I remember how it actually ran surprisingly well and was perfectly playable, even though it was an 8MHz 8086 machine. 🙂

Nevertheless, thinking back I find that the Tetris in Windows 3.x was *the* version of Tetris that I played as a kid. (never had a NES, only a 386)

Heh, I had this with the "official" text-mode MS-DOS port of Tetris that I played on that same M24 earlier. 😅 I remember it going viral among my various floppy-copying connections. That DOS version was released before Spectrum Holobyte licensed the game and released a DOS port that supported much fancier graphics modes and background art.

A teacher in my high school actually organized a Tetris tournament in the computer lab, where he had that text-mode version installed on all PCs. He did not allow other games to be played during that session (not even Blockout), but he did allow me to play the Spectrum Holobyte version that I brought a copy of. I mean, it's still Tetris, right? 😅

Tetris was all the rage, and looking back, it's not surprising that Nintendo jumped on it. The success of the Game Boy is probably owed in no small part to that game alone. It may be the earliest example of a casual game that broke out of the gamers-niche and reached a mass audience, including many people who were not into gaming at all.

Nostalgia is such a personal and relative thing, right? You might want to try that text-mode DOS version. To me, the Windows version actually looked so advanced in comparison. 😅 It's also one of the few rare examples of a game I could play in the M24's proprietary high resolution 640x400 mode.

I guess I'd have to pick the same! (The Windows version in Microsoft Entertainment Pack 1.) For the nostalgic reasons I mentioned. 🙂

Although another strong contender for me would be TETRIS Queen, an open-source (and presumably unlicensed 🙈) version that comes bundled with FreeDOS, and was obviously developed by a die-hard fan of the band Queen.

Reply 12 of 19, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I tried "Star Tetris II" for DOS. It's very playable.

Back in the DOS/Win3.xx days I first played official port of Tetris for DOS and also this very same Windows 3.xx version. Later - 3D-tetris clone "Blockout" for DOS. Some watch'n'game-like Tetris clones...

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 13 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clb wrote on 2024-01-18, 21:00:
Heya, […]
Show full quote

Heya,

Thought to share here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58YiU-4jUp8

In addition to the text "bug" in the Help file, now as an adult I find there are other issues with the game:
- game pieces spawn one row too low, effectively making the gameplay area only 10x19 and not 10x20.
- pieces are moved at the regular typematic repeat rate of the keyboard, making gameplay dependant on your repeat rate,
- the next piece to drop disappears for ~second whenever you drop a piece, just when your attention would be at looking at the next piece to fall
- the falling piece can still be many places to the left or right as one wants right when it is about to hit a piece on the board, making it possible to "slide" at the hard levels (not sure if a bug, or intentional "make the game easier".. although I got a lot of mis-slides due to this behavior as well)

What I find nice is that you can cheese the game by pausing it with P, and it still shows the whole board and the falling piece, so at the very difficult stages you can pause the game at the start of each piece to give yourself time to think.

The level progress behavior of changing the level frame art instead of the piece colors is much nicer than on the NES where advancing a level changes the piece colors (that feels like a dull graphic)

What's your go-to version of Tetris on the PC? (if you play/played it)

Hi! I've got fond memories of playing KLOTZ (German, meaning "brick") on Windows 2.03. This was in the 90s, when I still had my 286 on my wooden desk.
*I've used PC-DOS 3.30, via boot floppies, to run that old Windows.
On my hard disk was MS-DOS 6.20 and Windows 3.10, also.

Here's a quick video of KLOTZ on Windows 2.03 (on TFT) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nicc1HXgyQQ

I've also played your favorite version of Tetris quite a few times, I think. ^^
Not the MS Entertainment Pack version, but the older public domain version of the 80s (Windows 1/2).

It was on the OLDWIN directory found on several shareware CD-ROMs, I think.
That was software which wasn't Windows 3 ready yet.

Edit: I think that version is available at Toastytech site, too, where the other WIN2 apps are being located.

Btw, Windows 3.0 in Real-Mode (WIN /R) is quite legacy friendly. It also supports EMS for Windows applications.
Most 1980s Windows games should run fine that way.

That being said, Windows 3.1x/WfW technically allows us to run same old applications in Protected-Mode, too.
It's just that it won't guarantee that they will run properly (hence the warning dialog).

*That's because a) I like PC-DOS 3.30 b) Windows 2.x doesn't know about anything higher than DOS 4, which has different kernal structures.
If it sees DOS 4 or higher, it will threat it same as DOS 4.
Problem is, that DOS 5 and up went back to DOS 3 kernal structures (DOS 4 was a dead end) .
So it needs SETVER etc to see a DOS 3 again.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first version of Tetris I played was Mirrorsoft Tetris on the Amiga. One issue I had with this version was that there was only one audio track (which is still burned into my brain). The music also had a sIow tempo that made you feel drowsy...and the tempo didn't increase as the levels progressed. I liked the NES version much better, due to the colourful blocks and the upbeat soundtrack. I also had a friend who had the DOS text mode version, which even by late 80s standards was pretty lame.

I only tried Tetris for Windows in 1994 when a friend of mine picked up BOWEP. I didn't realise it was from 1990, so I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't a midi track, and the game just seemed kind of generic. Other than the NES and Gameboy versions, didn't any ports have good soundfx and music?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 19, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2024-01-19, 04:49:

I first played Tetris on a friends gameboy from time to time, that music is burned into my memory and still my favourite version.
but I spent more time playing this version which was installed on the school computers....and "followed" me home and onto our 486.

I wonder if the minuet Tetris version was sold in the US?

I seem to remember it at the Shopko gameboy trial display but never noted a cart in the wild with the “other” music

Reply 16 of 19, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only played Tetris in the early 90s on a dedicated Tetris machine. B/W LCD screen. 1bit beeper sound. 2 AA batteries that lasted a lifetime. It was fun. And had some alternative blocky games. Nice china toy for hours of gameplay. Even my late grandfather played it vigorously.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 17 of 19, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-18, 22:06:

Banner - A tool to make Banners... I think my parents regretted it giving this to me because we had a dot matrix printer... Banners took hours to print. At least the banners i made as a 12 year old 😁 .

$ banner still on slackware

#############                     ######## 
############# ##############
############# ##################
############# ######################
######## ########################
####### ##########################
###### ############################
###### ################ ######
##### ############## ####
##### ############# ####
#### ############# ####
#### ############ ####
#### ############# ####
#### ############# ####
#### ############# #####
#### ############# #####
##### ############## ######
#### ############# ######
##### ############## #######
##### ############## ########
###### ################ #############
########################### #############
########################## #############
######################## #############
####################
################
#########

####
####
####
########################################################
############################################################
##############################################################
################################################################
#################################################################
##################################################################
###################################################################
###################################################################
########### ####
######### ####
######## ####
####### ####
######
#####
#####
####
###

#### ####
#### #### ######
###################################################### ##########
###################################################### ############
###################################################### ##############
###################################################### ############
###################################################### ##########
###################################################### ######
Show last 435 lines
                              #### 
####

#### ####
#### ####
###########################################################################################
###########################################################################################
####
####

#### ####
#### ####
####
####

##################
############################
################################
####################################
########################################
############################################
##############################################
############# #############
######### #########
####### #######
###### ######
##### #####
##### #####
#### ####
#### ####
#### ####
#### ####
##### #####
##### #####
##### #####
###### ######
####### #######
######### #########
##################

#### ####
#### ####
######################################################
#### #####
#### #####
#####
#####
######
######
######
#######
#######
########
#### #########
#### ############
#####################################################
#####################################################
####################################################
###################################################
#################################################
##########################################
####
####

############# ########
############# ##############
############# ##################
############# ######################
######## ########################
####### ##########################
###### ############################
###### ################ ######
##### ############# ####
#### ############# ####
#### ############ ####
#### ############# ####
#### ############# ####
#### ############# #####
#### ############# #####
##### ############## ######
#### ############# ######
##### ############## #######
##### ############## ########
###### ################ #############
########################### #############
########################## #############
######################## #############
####################
################
#########

#### ####
#### ####
####
####

########
################
####################
######################## #####
########################## ##########
############################ #############
############################## ##############
######### ######### ###############
######## ######## ##############
####### ####### #### ######
###### ###### #####
###### ###### ####
###### ###### ####
##### ##### ####
##### ##### #####
##### ##### ######
##### ##### #######
###### ###### #########
################################################
###############################################
#############################################
#########################################
######
####
###
##

##################
######### #########
####### #######
###### ######
##### #####
##### #####
#### ####
#### ####
#### ####
#### ####
#### ####
### ####
#### ####
### ####
#### ######
#### #######
#### ########
##### #######
##### ####
#### #

#### ####
#### ####
#### #########
#### ############
#################
####################
########################
###########################
##################### ######
###################### ###### ####
#### ##################### ###### ####
#### ###################### ###########
########################## #########
####################### ########
##################### ######
################### #####
################ ####
############## ####
############
##########
#######
#####
####
####

####
####
#######
##########
##############
##################
######################
#########################
#############################
#################################
#####################################
################################ ####
################################ ####
#################################
###############################
########################
#################
############
############
#############
####################
###############################
##############################
########################
#################
############
############
############
#############
#############
############# ####
############# ####
#################
#############
##########
######
####
####
####

########
################
####################
######################## #####
########################## ##########
############################ #############
############################## ##############
######### ######### ###############
######## ######## ##############
####### ####### #### ######
###### ###### #####
###### ###### ####
###### ###### ####
##### ##### ####
##### ##### #####
##### ##### ######
##### ##### #######
###### ###### #########
################################################
###############################################
#############################################
#########################################
######
####
###
##

#### ####
#### ####
#### ######
#### ######
#######
#######
#######
#######
########
########
########
###############
#################
##################
###################
###################
##################
##################
################
#############
########

##################
############# #### #############
######### #### #########
####### #### #######
###### #### ######
##### #### #####
##### #### #####
#### #### ####
#### #### ####
#### #### ####
#### #### ####
#### #### #####
### #### #####
#### #### ######
### #### #######
#### #### #########
#### #### #############
#### #########################
##### ########################
##### ######################
#### ####################
##################
################
###########

Reply 18 of 19, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2024-01-24, 14:50:

Other than the NES and Gameboy versions, didn't any ports have good soundfx and music?

Tetris Pro, can be found on the Gravis Ultrasound CD - tetrisp!.arj

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 19 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tetris 2 for Sharp MZ-800 series?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cICBfDLLD4E

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//