VOGONS

Recommended DOS file manager?

Topic actions

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! I am at my mother's house now where my Win98SE tower is and am working on as DOS configuration, as Windows mode still does not work. 🙁 I tried disabling EMM386, as it's been giving me trouble, and am still getting problems. When I get the config to work, what DOS-based file manager would you suggest? I want a GUI, multi-tasking or task-switching, program-launching and full file operation support. I have Star Commander, a Norton Commander clone, and it's good, but I want a lower memory footprint. Also, what would be the best DOS menu program? Text is fine, but I prefer either a low memory footprint or no memory footprint. I'm aware of MOO and JocMenu and think I have both on the computer. Thank you.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 1 of 33, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Multi-tasking and DOS don't mix together. If I may ask, what do you want to do? Why not connect the hard drive to a modern computer?

You can use a device like this
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-USB-SATA-Adap … ps%2C703&sr=8-4

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 33, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well...Windows is not starting up at all on the computer. 🙁 Right now, I'm trying to get a DOS setup working so I can use the computer at all. I want to be able to edit code while running an emulator to, after compiling the code, test it, like I can in Windows.

Reply 3 of 33, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, if you don't care about the data on drive C, format it and do a clean installation of Win95.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 4 of 33, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a lot of data on the C: drive--over 12GB worth--so I can't reformat the whole drive, and a clean install only caused more problems. 🙁

Reply 5 of 33, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to have XTree Gold in the day, but you need to understand the limitations of DOS.

- No multitasking (apart from TSRs)
- No file associations (Only EXE, COM and BAT are recognised), unless the file manager can make the connection, which means you having to set that up.

However if you run an executable from the file manager, it will swap itself out while the chosen program runs. You still lose some memory though.

Reply 6 of 33, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right about DOS's limits. I will search for and download XTree Gold now. Thank you.

Reply 9 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DESQView and DESQView /X can handle multiple DOS "windows" side by side.

Windows 2.x can do the same, but merely for small DOS applications using text-mode or CGA graphics.

But MS-DOS executive isn't exactly great. One of the third-party file managers/program managers can be used as a workaround.

Edit: Technically speaking, there are multi-tasking "DOSes" like PC-MOS/386.
The later versions have an API/ABI compatible with MS-DOS 5.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 33, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may try Necromancer's DOS Navigator. It's a modern version of Norton Commander and it's currently supported/updated for DOS, Linux, Windows, Hauku, Kolibri, Menuet etc.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 12 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Harry Potter wrote on 2024-01-27, 20:27:

I have a lot of data on the C: drive--over 12GB worth--so I can't reformat the whole drive, and a clean install only caused more problems. 🙁

stop your dos6 clowning and get that fat32 partition backed up to an external usb device immediately before data loss tragedy strikes. Have a live linux cd of some kind to boot, it will know what USB mass storage is and will have dd and/or ddrescue to do this task

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 33, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you are at the point of disabling EMM386 to fix issues, that system needs data backup using Knoppix Live DVD or similar tool and a complete reinstall.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 15 of 33, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I prefer good old DOS Navigator 1.51 as my primary file manager. And I use Volkov Commander 4.99.08 for boot diskettes 'cause it is much smaller.
DOS Navigator is TurboVision-based and is capable of switching between windows (disk pannels, editors, viewers, terminals etc.) however it is not true multitasking.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ 100%
Virus check complete. All viruses are working properly.

Reply 16 of 33, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I heard that DOSSHELL is also not multi-tasking but task-switching: it will only run one task at a time but can keep multiple apps in memory and allow me to switch between them. Will DOS Navigator do the same? BTW, I might not need this anymore soon, as somebody recently told me how I can reinstall Windows and revert to factory-default settings.

BTW, froller: I like your signature. 😀

BTW, I'm downloading it now.

Reply 17 of 33, by froller

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Harry Potter wrote on 2024-02-09, 15:00:

I heard that DOSSHELL is also not multi-tasking but task-switching: it will only run one task at a time but can keep multiple apps in memory and allow me to switch between them. Will DOS Navigator do the same?

Never heard of DOSSHELL can switch tasks. You might have confused it with DESQview. Last one certainly can into multitasking.
DOS Navigator can switch between its own modules with Alt+TAB and Ctrl+TAB. You can have several editors opened simultaneously and even visible on the screen alongside with file manager panels.
As you start any DOS app you won't be able to switch back to DN unless you exit the app.

VirtualBox_MS-DOS_09_02_2024_18_42_03.png
Filename
VirtualBox_MS-DOS_09_02_2024_18_42_03.png
File size
16.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If you accidentally got Russian version of DN just find ENG.LNG and ENG.DLG files and copy them as DN.LNG and DN.DLG to switch to English.

Harry Potter wrote on 2024-02-09, 15:00:

BTW, froller: I like your signature. 😀

So do I 😀

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ 100%
Virus check complete. All viruses are working properly.

Reply 18 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tB035ZDMZD4

More like task swapping, though, maybe. 🤷‍♂️

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 33, by deltapi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have to agree with other posters, if the system is this broken and you don't want to lose data, it needs to be backed up ASAP.
I'd even recommend a usb-to-PATA adaptor to back up that disk using a (different) modern PC. In most cases you can leave the original drive in place, just remove the PATA cable and plug in the adaptor. Use the system power to run the drive and copy all the files off it or take an image of the disk.