VOGONS

First post, by At0micgarden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

Down the rabbit hole of period-accurate Windows 98 builds, I go.

I have a 933Mhz PIII, 512MB RAM and a Voodoo 3 3000. Win98SE and everything seems to be installed nicely and working well. But I'm seeing some weird issues in Unreal (admittedly, the first game I tried on this build).

1. The game is dark as hell. I've read that this is an issue because the game does not recognize Gamma settings in Glide. Well, that sucks. I don't remember this being an issue on my old Voodoo Banshee back in the day, but perhaps it was. Is there ANY solution to this aside from cranking the brightness in-game to the max?

2. In the intro fly-by, we all remember the cool reflective stone on the ground. Sometimes, the reflective textures work, sometimes they do not and it's a non-reflective stone texture. Any ideas? I am using the 1.07 Voodoo drivers from Nov 2000.

Thanks for reading!!

Reply 1 of 4, by arizonapalms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, running the same card as you with the same drivers from http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/voodoo3.htm

Does the same thing occur in other Glide games? What about another Unreal engine game like Unreal Tournament or Nerf Arena?

Reply 2 of 4, by At0micgarden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I think it’s related to this Dell CRT monitor I have, D 1025 TM. It’s got standard mode, presentation mode, and gaming mode. Presentation mode seems to make things look normal. Standard is way too dark with the gamma, even if I turn brightness all the way up. And gaming mode looks fuzzy and weird. Presentation mode seems to be working well. But I still do have the issue where the reflective surfaces only show up every other time I boot the game. Haven’t checked any other glide games yet.

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
At0micgarden wrote on 2024-03-05, 20:42:

1. The game is dark as hell. I've read that this is an issue because the game does not recognize Gamma settings in Glide. Well, that sucks. I don't remember this being an issue on my old Voodoo Banshee back in the day, but perhaps it was. Is there ANY solution to this aside from cranking the brightness in-game to the max?

When Unreal gained multitexturing support, they've changed the lightmap blending mode for it and for many versions they didn't shift the lightmap data to compensate for the lack of overbright volumes yet. Banshee doesn't have a second TMU to mulitexture with so it's brighter and intact there. 222 is the first version to support the Voodoo3 so it should at least be that.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by At0micgarden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The darkness was a monitor issue. I replaced the monitor.

As far as the game only booting in glide mode every other time, I fixed that by just adding the -glide launch parameter, and it seems to work fine now every time.