VOGONS

First post, by BigMaQ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am trying to get my Windows 3.11 into my Home Network and playing around with some Network Adapters.

I finally got TCP/IP up and running, but always get asked for a Password if I try to access a share (see pic)

What I did on Server Side:

- Enable SMB1
- Enable LANManager / NTLM Auth to Answer in GPO
- Allow empty PW
- Add a local User (with PW)
- Allow „everyone“ and the local User on the share

The server is member of my Homelab Domain, but allow local access to the share without trouble from a more „modern“ PC with XP.

Any nudge in the right direction is welcome 😀

Thx

Attachments

• IMG_3599.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_3599.jpeg
    File size
    216.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, make sure workgroup in Windows 3.11 is set to homelab even if not a member of the domain. This will allow windows to match the homelab\user format the server is expecting.

Create a share on the Windows 3.11 PC and check if the modern PC can access that? I've had it a few times when sharing works one way but not the other.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, it reminds me a bit of this old thread here: Windows 98 PC suddenly stopped appearing in the Network on my main (Windows 7) PC
Long story short, Windows 9x and WfW used permissions per folder; Windows NT uses permissions per user.
That's why the password thing happens, I think. Also, old Windows used NETBIOS and Lan Manager protocol (aka CIFS, SMB1).

Good luck! 😀 🤞

PS: On modern Windows (NT6+), there's a "homegroup" network type in addition of the old "workgroup" type.
Classic Windows needs the workgroup type. Making sure that workgroup name and domain name are same does help, maybe.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On my systems at least, if you install NetBEUI on anything XP and older then there's no trouble mapping drives between them and having 2-way access.

But WFW 3.11 won't access any of my NAS's directly, so I used WS_FTP.

Reply 5 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking of vintage technologies like FTP, there's also serial connection via null-modem cable.
Norton Commander 5.x and FileMaven v3 (DOS) do support it, I think.

Windows 9x and onwards do have Direct Cable Connection utility that's more comfortable than FTP.
It seems to be derived from LapLink technology, which is included in MS-DOS 6.x.

https://www.itprotoday.com/compute-engines/ho … ull-modem-cable
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplink

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 6, by BigMaQ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

thanks for the Input.
Machine is in the same Workgroup (PCQ.LOCAL)

But the FTP Thing I will try out, not as confortable as a direct mapped drive (was hoping to run CD Games from the Share instead of burning these CDs from .ISO)

On Weekend, I will add another, non Domain Server on my ESX (maybe an older Server 2003 or so) and try a bit more. Dont want to „unsecure“ my running file server much more with legacy auth methods 😀 Should also do an isolated VLAN maybe.