VOGONS

First post, by waulu13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

have a Thinkpad 370C running FreeDOS 1.3 and I am trying to run GTA I without success.

Inside the GTADOS folder :

1) When I try to run gta8.exe, it shows this intro,

IMG-20240318-225056.jpg

and then the screen goes black and stays locked like that.

2 ) When I try to run gta24.exe, i get the following message,

IMG-20240318-225834.jpg

However, when I run "gta24 -nounivbe", I get the same behaviour as described in 1) .

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Link removed

Last edited by waulu13 on 2024-03-18, 22:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-03-18, 22:12:

Straight up piracy. Enjoy your closed thread, as soon as a certain mod becomes aware of it.

Rockstart made GTA 1 freeware years ago. So it's not piracy per se. The link is indeed forbidden according to the forum rules.

Reply 4 of 8, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-03-18, 22:41:

Rockstart made GTA 1 freeware years ago. So it's not piracy per se.

They did (but didn't allow mirroring), and then they un-published it so it's not available any more unless you have an old download. And either way, it's different from OP's version. Version A being available(-ish) doesn't mean you're free to steal version B. You may be allowed to patch A into becoming B though. Legalese, fun for the whole family.

Reply 5 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a special taskforce in FBI and in Interpol for illegal downloading of old DOS games 😏

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 7 of 8, by waulu13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, for now I do not really want to test it with DOS 6.22. I had to use floppy disks to install FreeDOS and transfer all the files, and I am not ready to go through that again.

However, I can install FreeDOS and MS-DOS in a virtual machine to test it.

Reply 8 of 8, by waulu13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed GTA in VirtualBox with FreeDOS and MS-DOS, both didn't work too but with different behaviors. So the three methods produce different problems, not very useful to diagnose the problem.

In the future if I install the MS-DOS on the PC, I update the topic with the result.