VOGONS

First post, by Shiver_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I have been working on restoring my old HP VE6 and for the audio part I had considered an AWE64 with the Simmcon RAM adapter and 32MB of ram. But also add an MP32L just out of curiosity. And I found that I wouldn't really use the AWE64 and so I thought I'd sell it to get some money back and in the meantime I bought a Sound Blaster Live with the sole idea of ​​connecting my MP32L via the Joystick port just like I did with the AWE64 but when testing Doom running from Windows I couldn't get it to work. It seems that the Sound Blaster Live is using the sound banks or the Wavetable and I know this because if I have audio but no communication with the MP32L, I hope someone knows what options to change I came looking for a long time and I couldn't find anything about the MIDI device connections to the SB Live and how to switch between sound banks and the MIDI output of the sound card.

Happy holidays for all.

Reply 1 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

Don't sell the AWE64, it has much better DOS compatibility than the SBLive! even within Windows 9x. I suggest using both sound cards at once if possible, having the best of both worlds (EAX in Windows games and not having to rely on a mediocre SB16 emulation for DOS games).

IIRC, SBLive!'s gameport uses an I/O address that isn't MPU-401 compatible for external MIDI devices.

And btw, happy holidays too. 😁

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 4, by Shiver_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-21, 19:53:
Hello. […]
Show full quote

Hello.

Don't sell the AWE64, it has much better DOS compatibility than the SBLive! even within Windows 9x. I suggest using both sound cards at once if possible, having the best of both worlds (EAX in Windows games and not having to rely on a mediocre SB16 emulation for DOS games).

IIRC, SBLive!'s gameport uses an I/O address that isn't MPU-401 compatible for external MIDI devices.

And btw, happy holidays too. 😁

Hi.

Thank you so much for your response, the only question here is how install and configure both sound cards without conflicts.

Reply 3 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To get output from both sound cards into one set of speakers, the easiest way to achieve this is by connecting the line out port from one sound card to the line in port of the other one. Another way is getting an external mixer with multiple inputs.

As long as the AWE64 uses the default Sound Blaster settings and there is still one free IRQ for the SBLive!, you shouldn't worry much about resource conflicts. The SB16 emulation provided by the SBLive! gets disabled if the AWE64 is detected in Windows.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The EMU8000 on the AWE/SB32 is directly supported by Impulse Tracker, AWEamp and AMP for Windows v1.0b and several more.

https://winampheritage.com/plugin/aweamp-by-yilard/48284

http://www.dcee.net/Files/Music/Player/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//