VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

in one of my IBM Pentium75 I installed a vibra 16 ISA sound blaster (it has colored jack connectors I suppose it's the 4170 also called waveeffect) at the DOS prompt I launch "unisound" which finds it and writes me the numbers of the ports set by it.

If I try to start DuneII or Syndicate, however, I don't hear the sound effects such as the voice but only the music… I'm a bit stiff on the sound card settings so I ask you the reason for this malfunction.

When I was playing DuneII on my DX2 when it came out in the early 90s with the SoundBlaster PRO1 I vividly remember that there was a female voice during the intro. Voice that I don't hear now.

thanks a lot

Reply 1 of 6, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
Initializing the sound card could look like this:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6 J200 P330
UNISOUND.COM /V70

Suppose the resources are free.

Dune II: Yes there is a voice in the Intro.
Setup : SB Pro, Make sure that Extended Memory is answered with yes.

Dune II uses a lot of conventional memory, up to 602kb. Do you have enough free memory?

Reply 2 of 6, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demolition-Man wrote on 2023-04-23, 19:37:
Hi, Initializing the sound card could look like this: SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6 J200 P330 UNISOUND.COM /V70 […]
Show full quote

Hi,
Initializing the sound card could look like this:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T6 J200 P330
UNISOUND.COM /V70

Suppose the resources are free.

Dune II: Yes there is a voice in the Intro.
Setup : SB Pro, Make sure that Extended Memory is answered with yes.

Dune II uses a lot of conventional memory, up to 602kb. Do you have enough free memory?

seems all correct except for the conventional memory that is something like 580 but tomorrow i check the exhact value. se problem for syndicate … ?

Reply 3 of 6, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

se problem for syndicate … ?

Never played it, sorry.

Reply 4 of 6, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok i have checked and i have 609k of free ram, i have also tried to use my AWE32 insted of sb16 value but same issue, no digit sound in Dune2 and even not on Syndicate… i use unisound.com to initialize the card, can be the problem??

Reply 5 of 6, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try other resources e.g. interrupt 7. You can also use regular drivers but they are quite large and maybe not that ideal for Dune II. Another game or few to test would be good. Games that let you test music and FX in the setup. You can also show us your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files.

Reply 6 of 6, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demolition-Man wrote on 2023-04-24, 12:49:

Try other resources e.g. interrupt 7. You can also use regular drivers but they are quite large and maybe not that ideal for Dune II. Another game or few to test would be good. Games that let you test music and FX in the setup. You can also show us your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files.

this is unisound