VOGONS

First post, by Hornpipe2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Scrabble CD-ROM (1996) has a background soundtrack of MIDI files that plays through the system MIDI synthesizer when using Windows. However, the disc also has a Mac version, and comes with a folder called "MACTUNES", which are in AIFF format and these are played instead for background music. The recordings are pre-rendered versions of the same MIDI files, but unfortunately they are 11.025khz mono.

I had the idea that if I could figure out which synth was used, I could re-record the MIDI files at high quality. But I can't figure out what it would be and I was hoping I could get some assistance. I've tried playback with MT-32 (via Munt), 8MBGMSFX.sf2 (fluidsynth), Microsoft Midi Mapper (the butchered Roland SC one) and they do not match. It is sounding like it could be a contemporary "pro" keyboard, like the Proteus or something, but I thought I'd ask here if any experts could identify the source.

It's also possible the Mac versions are post-processed somehow, which would make this task difficult / impossible, but let's hope that isn't the case 😀

So here's a table of 10 of the soundtrack files - the .mid for Windows and the .aif-as-flac for Mac - and I'd love to hear your ideas.

1. Track 1 MID / AIFF
  2. Track 2 MID / AIFF
  3. Track 3 MID / AIFF
  4. Track 4 MID / AIFF
  5. Track 5 MID / AIFF
  6. Track 6 MID / AIFF
  7. Track 7 MID / AIFF
  8. Track 8 MID / AIFF
  9. Track 9 MID / AIFF
  10. Track 10 MID / AIFF

Reply 1 of 14, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1996 would likely be a Sound Canvas module, like the SC55. The MIDI files have no information in them beyond the raw MIDI track data, so nobody can help you identify what had been used for the recordings or the original composition. I can tell you that they sound wonderful - like you describe the recordings - when played back through the Hyper Canvas VST.

Reply 2 of 14, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tested the first MIDI file with a few different Sound Canvases (SC-55, SC-55 Mk2, SC-88) and it doesn't sound the same.

The bell sound in the AIFF recording has a higher frequency sound to it, whereas the Sound Canvas samples are duller in comparison.

It's quite possible they didn't use a single sound module when doing the Mac recordings. They could have recorded individual instruments from multiple sources, as well as doing custom mixing and mastering.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 14, by Hornpipe2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-24, 23:33:

Just tested the first MIDI file with a few different Sound Canvases (SC-55, SC-55 Mk2, SC-88) and it doesn't sound the same.

The bell sound in the AIFF recording has a higher frequency sound to it, whereas the Sound Canvas samples are duller in comparison.

It's quite possible they didn't use a single sound module when doing the Mac recordings. They could have recorded individual instruments from multiple sources, as well as doing custom mixing and mastering.

Thanks for testing these, I don't have access to an SC-anything (except the Windows softsynth). Also tried Yamaha's S-YXG50 and it too doesn't sound right.

I feared it could be studio pro gear or multiple modules, but hoped it wasn't, ah well. It is of course also possible that the Windows MIDI files are not actually the same as the Mac render sources - further tweaks etc made but not saved on the CD.

auron wrote on 2023-08-25, 01:33:

the composer seems to be still around, you could try to contact him and ask if he remembers what gear he used.

I think this is the best next step, I'll see if I can get ahold on Twitter or something.

Reply 8 of 14, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is kind of interesting. Some tracks sound very SC-55 and some less so. Track 5 sounds like a SC-55, got that obvious SC piano and fretless up front.

When I open the MIDI for 5, it shows a drum change to Standard 2. This means it's at least a SC-88 (I think the highest out in that time period anyway).

I'm thinking it's a SC-88, since it overall sounds "SC-55 but not quite".

Reply 10 of 14, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, not from the JV-1080 either. A couple of the instruments sound similar, but there are definitely enough small differences that it's not from the JV-1080.

Reply 12 of 14, by Hornpipe2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update, I asked the musician, here is the response:

Holy cow that is a blast from the past!! Good detective work finding me 😁 I wish I could tell you that I totally remember what I used but I don’t remember fully. I own a JV-1080 and used that on a ton of stuff so most likely it would be that. Actually still have that same 1080!

https://twitter.com/GotGrog/status/1707486796828057813

Reply 13 of 14, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh. So it could be a JV-1080. I didn't realise until now that it used patch changes of either 0 or 1 for the drum kit, which seems to be what the MIDI files use. It's slightly odd that the soundtrack would be composed for that device though (most users won't have this device!). Guess someone can load the 1080 up, although they did and said it wasn't similar.. I'll have to check it out myself once I get my studio up and running.

Reply 14 of 14, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The JV-1080 has a ton of settings you can change so even if it sounds a little off when plugged into a factory reset 1080, the composer could have made it sound quite different by changing all sorts of stuff on the JV-1080. That was actually one of the selling points of the 1080. The 1080 was likely used because it was very common among professional musicians in the 90s. Its considered the most commonly used synth of all time.