VOGONS

First post, by jamesrdgrs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy, my fellow Reto-Computer fans!
I'm in a little bind here. I got a Sound Blaster Awe32 (CT3780) scrapped pick card for a great price. Problem is that some of the capacitors were not in the greatest of shape or in the case of one, were totally destroyed and now I'm in search of what it was. The exact component I'm looking for is marked LC1 on the PCB and is located in the bottom corner by the Game/MIDI port. If anyone can let me know what is located there I would greatly appreciate it.

20231009_102205.jpg
Filename
20231009_102205.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 1, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's exactly what it says "LC", i.e. (Inductance + Capacitor) or LC filter. it's not easy to find the exact values of the build-in Coil and build-in Capacitor inside it -I mean someone that has that exact board needs also to have proper equipment to measure it and tell you (none of my few AWE32 has such LC filter on that place). it's even harder to find off-the-shelf replacement.

Anyway, that's just to filter some signal and you can fix it with a wire - connecting the 2 contacts where the build-in coil used to connect (usually in the middle point is where the build-in capacitor connects) - with just a wire the signal passing through it will not be as clean as it should be, but it most likely will work.

[EDIT] you can check if the middle point goes to GND, because that is what makes sense to me, as someone with very basic electronics knowledge - if yes, that is where the build in capacitor connects and you need to make a connection over it, i.e. not short any of the 2 other point to GND, but at the same time connect them together to restore the connection.