VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kouwes wrote on 2024-03-27, 10:06:

Just finished building my WinXP rig and I also used a X-Fi card. X-Fi xtreme gamer, came like new in the original box with manuals and driver cd for €10.
Works very well in XP! And yeah, extra awesome with headphones. Try Doom3 with / without EAX!

Edit: oops, not enough RAM and also with that GPU Doom3 won‘t run on your system

Doom 3 is a neat game for sure but beyond the scope of the system (2000 to 2002).

Such a game might run pretty bad on my gpu but it should run somehow. I think I have seen videos on youtube doom 3 running with some older gpu.

For the perfect experience I would need a way more powerful gpu though that is for sure.

ps: The ram is not final. I want to step up the Ram as well. The 256 mb came just with the system and I used them to test if the system is still running.

Reply 21 of 25, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have done some further research and i am sure now that i am going to get X-Fi card.

There are also some listings on ebay for the X-fi card.

Is there are difference between Sb0790 and Sb1040 card that would be noticable for standard gaming use or i am good to go with any of these cards?

Reply 22 of 25, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
predator_085 wrote on 2024-03-28, 07:01:

Is there are difference between Sb0790 and Sb1040 card that would be noticable for standard gaming use or i am good to go with any of these cards?

You don't want either one of those cards, they are both X-Fi Extreme Audio and they aren't "real" X-Fi models. They aren't based on the same chip as the real cards and lack hardware acceleration among other things. That SB1040 is also a PCIe card which you couldn't even use on that board.

Basically any other PCI X-Fi would be fine other than Extreme Audio. X-Fi XtremeMusic cards should have reasonable prices while Fatal1ty cards might be a bit inflated. The difference between them are practically nonexistent, very few games can make use of the 64MB onboard RAM on Fatal1ty cards like Doom 3 engine games and UT2004 with X-Fi patch which are a bit out of reach for that system anyway.

Only thing to keep in mind is OEM cards (Dell and the like) probably will not work with official Creative drivers.

Reply 23 of 25, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
predator_085 wrote on 2024-03-28, 07:01:

Both of them appear to be "Xtreme Audio" which are cut down X-Fi cards with software EAX. Avoid those. Also, the SB1040 is a PCIe card, which won't fit on your motherboard.

Of the X-Fi PCI models, you want either Xtreme Music, Xtreme Gamer, Fatal1ty or Elite Pro. The last two are the best, but also the most expensive ones. Realistically, for your build and the time period you're aiming for, even the Xtreme Music would be fine. The relevant model number is SB0460. For more details, I recommend reading the X-Fi page on Wikipedia if you haven't done so already.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 25 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Dell OEM card SB0770 is a good option, it does need special drivers but these are less bloated then the creative ones which may be desirable on a P4
Sound wise it still does hardware acceleration and I cant tell any difference to my Titanium Fatal1ty Champion.

Phil has the drivers on his page
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/x-fi-sb0770- … enware-oem.html

There is also the HP 0460 which also does hardware acceleration and does use the creative drivers, but don't own one myself