Rank Newbie
Rank

hello,

i currently got the Roland Sound Canvas VA and it has the following modules
SC-55
SC-88
SC-88 Pro
SC-8820

for Doom i tend to the SC-55 maybe im more used to it from the past but for duke nukem 3d i think i like the SC-88 more.

Duke 3d SC-55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uihO0SoMWZ8&l … jJcUyHp&index=2

Duke 3d SC-88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDvEEWeGyQU&t=1554s

but what is the difference from SC-88 vs SC-88 Pro?

which one would you use for an authentic MIDI Soundtrack?

i checked the SC-8820 but it might sound too modern somehow for a DOS Midi Soundtrack.

thanks!

Reply 1 of 15, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you listen to the shadow warrior soundtrack from the CD, and compare it to the shareware version, which is using MIDI, you might get an idea what it’s supposed to sound like.

Akumajō Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 2 of 15, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For DOS MIDI games, most will sound best with the SC-55 mode. Some rare cases will benefit from the SC-88 due to composition or polyphony.

The 88Pro/8820 is only used in fan MIDI enhancements of VGM tracks, to my knowledge none were used in arranging MIDI scores for games (sometimes in digital soundtracks, but that's besides the point).

Of course, some games will sound very nice with 8820 mode for games too! It can be a fun way of enhancing the sound or hearing it with a new palette.

Reply 3 of 15, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's recordings I've done with SC-55 and SC-88 Pro.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 15, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO the 8820 sounds very good in native map mode in *most* things that expect real SC55, Doom being one of them.

Not in everything, of course, but I rarely have to fall back to powering on the 55mk2 unless the newer sounds on the 8820 sound too 'clean'.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 6 of 15, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caine123 wrote on 2024-03-21, 12:58:

To my ears, that doesn't sound like a Sound Canvas SC-55 at all.

This is what SC-55 Mk. II sounds like. Maybe it's just been a long time since I've heard it on a SC-55. (recording is a bit noisy since I run the sound through some very old gear).

Attachments

• Filename
    output-audio.mp3
    File size
    3.97 MiB
    Downloads
    6 downloads
    File comment
    Recorded from Duke Nukem 3D 1.3D
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 15, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

for Doom i tend to the SC-55 maybe im more used to it from the past but for duke nukem 3d i think i like the SC-88 more.

Doom sounds good on both, I generally prefer the SC-88 for rock tunes. For me, the distortion guitar sounds better on the SC-88 than the SC-55. Definitely prefer the SC-88 for Duke 3D, even though Lee Jackson composed it on a RAP-10 (basically an SC-55) originally and then enhanced it later on an SC-88

https://dleejackson.lbjackson.com/music/the-h … ory-of-grabbag/

but what is the difference from SC-88 vs SC-88 Pro?

Roland SC-88 versus SC-88 Pro?

which one would you use for an authentic MIDI Soundtrack?

It's all down to personal taste. Most tracks will sound good on both, however, the general consensus is that the SC-55 was used a lot more by composers than the SC-88 for game soundtracks.

Two examples for me are the Warcraft 2 soundtrack and A10tion.mid from the Shadow Warrior shareware soundtrack. For me, Warcraft 2 doesn't sound great on the SC-88/Pro due to the French Horn sounding off. A10tion sounds better on the SC-88 than the SC-55, especially the timpani.

i checked the SC-8820 but it might sound too modern somehow for a DOS Midi Soundtrack.

The SC-8820 will also sound good on most tracks as it shares a lot of the patches from the SC-55/88. Listen to all the SC options in games and decide for yourself which sounds better. 😀

Try the Yamaha DB50XG VST as well, it also sounds really good with most games. I love the DB50XG for Descent.

Reply 8 of 15, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caine123 wrote on 2024-03-21, 17:13:
thanks a lot guys! […]
Show full quote

thanks a lot guys!

the problem is with the SoundCanvas VA when i choose SC-55 i dont see any kicks for example

h1VfZTx.jpeg

im wondering if it is maybe not correctly structured?

Drums (as in, drum sets) are separate and exclusive to channel 10, so you'll need to be on that channel to see actual drum set sounds. "Percussive" in an instrument (non-drum) channel - which is what that screenshot is showing - will give GM/GS patches relating to drum instruments versus drum sets.

Reply 9 of 15, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tempus wrote on 2024-03-21, 19:33:

This is what SC-55 Mk. II sounds like. Maybe it's just been a long time since I've heard it on a SC-55. (recording is a bit noisy since I run the sound through some very old gear).

The problem is, we don't know what the YouTube recording is actually from. Could be SC-55, could be mkII, could be any device in SC-55 mode, could be SCVA..

SC-55 and mkII shouldn't be easily discernable though, without careful headphone listening.

Reply 10 of 15, by beeper6581

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed there's something off to those recordings. Maybe some bad transcoding of the audio from Youtube? It does sound overly compressed too.

Reply 11 of 15, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite overall is the sc55, I just adore the sound of the 55. If I had known how much I liked the 55, I might not have bothered getting any other. I think a lot of it just comes down to personal taste though. I’ve heard musicians use the sc88 and that thing sounds absolutely amazing when used right, I think it was also used in some ps1 games.

The nice thing about MIDI modules is that even if something doesn’t sound exactly as the author intended it can still be fun. That’s a big reason I got the mu90, I just wanted something that sounded different for fun.

Reply 12 of 15, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2024-03-23, 10:52:

SC-55 and mkII shouldn't be easily discernable though, without careful headphone listening.

Did a recording of the Sound Canvas SC-55 because I was curious how much different it could sound like.

Attachments

• Filename
    Recorded Sample 03.mp3
    File size
    3.99 MiB
    Downloads
    3 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 15, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2024-03-23, 10:52:

The problem is, we don't know what the YouTube recording is actually from. Could be SC-55, could be mkII, could be any device in SC-55 mode, could be SCVA..

It's a soundfont, no doubt. It's especially noticeable in Death Toll, because Halo Pad is missing its iconic sweep, and because of this it just sounds like a choir and JP-8 strings. Drums are too silent, too.
Given the reverb, it's probably Fluidsynth.

Reply 14 of 15, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sc55 is overall my personal favorite midi module, but I’ve heard some really amazing sound tracks in Japanese games done with the sc88. But I just love the 55. Some of it just comes down to which one you like the most.