User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radar4k wrote on 2024-04-13, 01:55:
Thank you for the help. I tried these steps but the issue still persists. […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-12, 22:37:
Hi, The reset and the delay you set is sent every time when you load a new Midi track, not only when you press the Reset butto […]
Show full quote

Hi,
The reset and the delay you set is sent every time when you load a new Midi track, not only when you press the Reset button manually.

1. On the playlist part right click and disable 'Play from first Note' option.
2. Right click on the Reset button and select 'Select/Send custom SysEx'. On the opened dialog box select from the list 'GS_On.syx'.
3. Set 'Delay after Last SysEx chunk' to 250 ms.
4. Right click on the Reset button again and make sure that the last reset option 'GS_ON' is selected.
5. Load a Midi file from the playlist by double clicking on it. Notice if the problem is still present or not.
6. Press the stop button. Then press the play button (so do not reload the file by double clicking on the playlist).
7. Notice if there is any difference between 6. and 7. related to your problem.
8. Report back.

BTW, what Midi files are you using for testing?

Thank you for the help. I tried these steps but the issue still persists.

Here is a link to the MIDI file I'm testing with. It's a MIDI file I wrote that exacerbates the issue by having the music play from the very first beat.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zi1lHU2OSAce … r8NkbAG_5HTKCK/

Side note: Is there a way to reset FSMP configuration to factory defaults? I changed a bunch of settings earlier today that may unintentionally affect performance.

Yes,
Main menu -> Storage of settings -> Reset settings to default

I have taken a look at your test Midi file and noticed that it sends many RPN and controller messages on the first tick (at the same time) on all tracks.
Here is a modified test that removes all of them (yes, it changes the sound a bit but it is not relevant now) just to confirm if your problem can be because of them or not.

Filename
atom 4 bend test-mod.zip
File size
633 Bytes
Downloads
5 downloads
File license
Public domain

Also as a further test press the 'Repeat One' button on the command bar (where the Play and Stop button can be found) and listen if there is a difference between the 2 versions of the test files (yours and mine) when the track is repeating from the beginning.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 21 of 31, by Radar4k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-13, 07:11:
Yes, Main menu -> Storage of settings -> Reset settings to default […]
Show full quote

Yes,

I have taken a look at your test Midi file and noticed that it sends many RPN and controller messages on the first tick (at the same time) on all tracks.
Here is a modified test that removes all of them (yes, it changes the sound a bit but it is not relevant now) just to confirm if your problem can be because of them or not.
atom 4 bend test-mod.zip

Also as a further test press the 'Repeat One' button on the command bar (where the Play and Stop button can be found) and listen if there is a difference between the 2 versions of the test files (yours and mine) when the track is repeating from the beginning.

Thanks! The new MIDI file fixes the issue. But of course as you've mentioned, the sound is altered now.

Could there be an option to "pre-roll" the RPN and controller messages, then start playing the music notes about 1 second after? I think that would fix the problem.

Reply 22 of 31, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radar4k wrote on 2024-04-13, 16:08:
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-13, 07:11:
Yes, Main menu -> Storage of settings -> Reset settings to default […]
Show full quote

Yes,

atom 4 bend test-mod.zip

Thanks! The new MIDI file fixes the issue. But of course as you've mentioned, the sound is altered now.

Could there be an option to "pre-roll" the RPN and controller messages, then start playing the music notes about 1 second after? I think that would fix the problem.

Hi,
Here is a 32-bit test version that adds fixed 2 beats delay before first note event (copy it to FSMP's folder and overwrite the original exe):
Previous attachment removed.

@Edit:
Some feedback would be useful. Otherwise I'm forced to revert changes since I cannot test myself if they do make any sense or not.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2024-04-15, 10:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 31, by Radar4k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-13, 20:42:
Hi, Here is a 32-bit test version that adds fixed 2 beats delay before first note event (copy it to FSMP's folder and overwrite […]
Show full quote

Hi,
Here is a 32-bit test version that adds fixed 2 beats delay before first note event (copy it to FSMP's folder and overwrite the original exe):
MidiPlayer.zip

@Edit:
Some feedback would be useful. Otherwise I'm forced to revert changes since I cannot test myself if they do make any sense or not.

Thank you very much! I tried it with a few dozen midi files and it appears to fix the issue! I will definitely be using this going forward to play midi files with my sound canvas. Thanks again. 🙂

Reply 24 of 31, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radar4k wrote on 2024-04-15, 02:31:
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-13, 20:42:
Hi, Here is a 32-bit test version that adds fixed 2 beats delay before first note event (copy it to FSMP's folder and overwrite […]
Show full quote

Hi,
MidiPlayer.zip

@Edit:

Thank you very much! I tried it with a few dozen midi files and it appears to fix the issue! I will definitely be using this going forward to play midi files with my sound canvas. Thanks again. 🙂

OK, thanks.
Here is a version that is closer to a release ready one. The option is added to Main menu -> Compatibility Settings -> Add Delay before 1st Note (HW fix). It is disabled by default so you have to enable it.
There are 2 additional fixes added to previous test version:
1. Delay is added to calculated song lengths.
2. Now it is working also with Midi files that change tempo during song (delay is also added to tempo changes in tempo track that usually does not contain notes so previously tempo change positions were wrong).

BTW, FSMP has a simple 'Editor' called 'Event Viewer/Debugger' that can be opened from the upper-right command bar (right below the close and minimize buttons). You can export/save the loaded Midi file from here (File menu -> Save as) so you can use the fixed Midi file in other Midi players, too.
( This is because the fix is implemented at the loader level so the actual event positions are modified.)

Filename
MidiPlayer.zip
File size
429.26 KiB
Downloads
7 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 25 of 31, by Radar4k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-15, 10:27:
OK, thanks. Here is a version that is closer to a release ready one. The option is added to Main menu -> Compatibility Settings […]
Show full quote

OK, thanks.
Here is a version that is closer to a release ready one. The option is added to Main menu -> Compatibility Settings -> Add Delay before 1st Note (HW fix). It is disabled by default so you have to enable it.
2. Now it is working also with Midi files that change tempo during song (delay is also added to tempo changes in tempo track that usually does not contain notes so previously tempo change positions were wrong).

BTW, FSMP has a simple 'Editor' called 'Event Viewer/Debugger' that can be opened from the upper-right command bar (right below the close and minimize buttons). You can export/save the loaded Midi file from here (File menu -> Save as) so you can use the fixed Midi file in other Midi players, too.
( This is because the fix is implemented at the loader level so the actual event positions are modified.)
MidiPlayer.zip

Unfortunately I'm not able to use the latest version you uploaded. Windows complains that it could contain a virus. I'll try it again if you can post a new version.

Also, another thing I really like about FSMP is that it appears to automatically reset the MIDI module after I stop playing a file, which means I don't need to keep resetting my SC-88 Pro after every song. Very convenient.

Reply 26 of 31, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radar4k wrote on 2024-04-15, 23:53:
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-15, 10:27:
OK, thanks. Here is a version that is closer to a release ready one. The option is added to Main menu -> Compatibility Settings […]
Show full quote

OK, thanks.

MidiPlayer.zip

Unfortunately I'm not able to use the latest version you uploaded. Windows complains that it could contain a virus. I'll try it again if you can post a new version.

Also, another thing I really like about FSMP is that it appears to automatically reset the MIDI module after I stop playing a file, which means I don't need to keep resetting my SC-88 Pro after every song. Very convenient.

1. This must be a false positive alert:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/false … protection.html
https://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/05/17/antivirus … all-developers/

What OS version and Antivirus software do you use anyway?
I have tested with today's Windows defender definition on Win 11 and it has not detected anything.
Here is the virustotal result of the zip file. No major AV engines detected anything problematic:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/43a26aa5a … 67bbc/detection

Unfortunately I cannot do much to prevent such problems. My only possibility is to report false positive detections to AV engines. But in this case I cannot find any false positive detections.
So the best thing you can do is to report it yourself as a false positive to your AV vendor and try to start it again anyway after adding it to your AV's exception list.

2. Yes, FSMP sends the same reset at stopping/exiting that you set in the right click menu of the 'Reset' button. As I said earlier reset option set in this context menu is not only for manual reset.

Reply 27 of 31, by Radar4k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-16, 06:35:
1. This must be a false positive alert: https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/false … protection.html https://blog.nirsoft.net […]
Show full quote

I have tested with today's Windows defender definition on Win 11 and it has not detected anything.
Here is the virustotal result of the zip file. No major AV engines detected anything problematic:

Unfortunately I cannot do much to prevent such problems. My only possibility is to report false positive detections to AV engines. But in this case I cannot find any false positive detections.
So the best thing you can do is to report it yourself as a false positive to your AV vendor and try to start it again anyway after adding it to your AV's exception list.

2. Yes, FSMP sends the same reset at stopping/exiting that you set in the right click menu of the 'Reset' button. As I said earlier reset option set in this context menu is not only for manual reset.

The only AV software I have installed is Defender that comes with Win 11, but regardless, today I downloaded the zip again and it decided to let me run the program. 😀 The new option works very well. The only issue I notice is that the visual beat counter is off by 2 beats. This could possibly be fixed by starting the MIDI file on -2 beats if this option is detected, kind of like if the song started with 2 beats of pick up notes.

Reply 28 of 31, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radar4k wrote on 2024-04-17, 02:32:
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-16, 06:35:
1. This must be a false positive alert: https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/false … protection.html https://blog.nirsoft.net […]
Show full quote

The only AV software I have installed is Defender that comes with Win 11, but regardless, today I downloaded the zip again and it decided to let me run the program. 😀 The new option works very well. The only issue I notice is that the visual beat counter is off by 2 beats. This could possibly be fixed by starting the MIDI file on -2 beats if this option is detected, kind of like if the song started with 2 beats of pick up notes.

Hi,
This cannot be done easily (or rather at all). There is no such thing as starting at -2 beats.
Bars, beats and ticks are calculated real time from the actual values/state (state depends on the actual tempo, time signature etc. that are valid at the exact current position and any of them can change any time).
Midi is a state machine so you have no idea what was the excat state or what will be the exact state without actually being there.
The visual bar-beat-tick display is correct in the sense that it reflects the real state since everything starting from the 1st note has a +2 beats offset when the fix is applied.
The only half solution would be to delay a whole bar (4 beats most of the time) but I think this would be too much delay and could only work better in case of 4/4 time signature.
So overall this is a price that has to be paid.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2024-04-18, 14:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 31, by Radar4k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-17, 03:59:
Hi, This is cannot be done easily (or rather at all). There is no such thing as starting at -2 beats. Bars, beats and ticks are […]
Show full quote

Hi,
This is cannot be done easily (or rather at all). There is no such thing as starting at -2 beats.
Bars, beats and ticks are calculated real time from the actual values/state (state depends on the actual tempo, time signature etc. that are valid at the exact current position and any of them can change any time).
Midi is a state machine so you have no idea what was the excat state or what will be the exact state without actually being there.
The visual bar-beat-tick display is correct in the sense that it reflects the real state since everything starting from the 1st note has a +2 beats offset when the fix is applied.
The only half solution would be to delay a whole bar (4 beats most of the time) but I think this would be too much delay and could only work better in case of 4/4 time signature.

Makes sense. Also, you never know if there's some edge case midi file out there where the first bar has 100 beats or something, so delaying the beginning for a whole bar would definitely be a problem there. 😜 Anyway, the HW delay feature works very well and has drastically improved MIDI playback on my sound canvas. Are there any plans to incorporate it in the official version of FSMP? If so, I'd like to move back to the official version when it's available. 😀

Reply 30 of 31, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radar4k wrote on 2024-04-18, 01:26:
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-17, 03:59:
Hi, This is cannot be done easily (or rather at all). There is no such thing as starting at -2 beats. Bars, beats and ticks are […]
Show full quote

Hi,
This is cannot be done easily (or rather at all). There is no such thing as starting at -2 beats.

Makes sense. Also, you never know if there's some edge case midi file out there where the first bar has 100 beats or something, so delaying the beginning for a whole bar would definitely be a problem there. 😜 Anyway, the HW delay feature works very well and has drastically improved MIDI playback on my sound canvas. Are there any plans to incorporate it in the official version of FSMP? If so, I'd like to move back to the official version when it's available. 😀

The test version you have just tried will be the next release version soon. Nowadays I usually release only 1 version per year when enough new features/fixes are ready.
The final v6.3 most likely will be released within a few months.

Reply 31 of 31, by Radar4k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-18, 13:29:

The test version you have just tried will be the next release version soon. Nowadays I usually release only 1 version per year when enough new features/fixes are ready.
The final v6.3 most likely will be released within a few months.

Awesome, I'll be watching out for the final v6.3 when it's released. Thanks for all the help!