VOGONS

First post, by ubertrout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received a SQ2500 from a friend and I'm not sure what all these headers are for. I attached a wavetable daughterboard as shown but it doesn't seem to be doing much, at least in windows - sound output is silent. Is this right and what do the others do? The manual bizarrely doesn't seem to discuss this at all.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 16, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most sound cards mute the wavetable header by default. Check your mixer settings.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 6 of 16, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the exact same problem with my Vortex 2. You need to open the Windows volume control, then go to its Properties and select the "MPU-401" option so that it's visible. That volume control is likely to be muted by default, so unmute it and you'll be able to hear your wavetable module.

Reply 7 of 16, by ubertrout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, in Windows 98 it doesn't let me do that - it's just Wavetable Balance, and in the MIDI section of multimedia I can select MPU-401 or the software synth. The software synth sounds fine, the MPU-401 gives silence. Of course, that's not an option in DOS mode.

Reply 9 of 16, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, here are the steps you need to unmute the MPU-401 output on your Vortex 2:

1) Open the volume panel by double-clicking the speaker icon in the system tray.

1-volume_icon.png
Filename
1-volume_icon.png
File size
9.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

2) From the Volume Control panel, go to Options and choose Properties.

2-volume_panel1.png
Filename
2-volume_panel1.png
File size
7.3 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

3) Scroll down the list of outputs until you see the option for MPU-401. If it's unchecked, check the box so that it appears in the Volume Control mixer. Then click OK.

3-volume_properties.png
Filename
3-volume_properties.png
File size
20.5 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

4) Unmute the MPU-401 input. It should be muted by default, at least it was on my Vortex 2 card.

4-volume_mute.png
Filename
4-volume_mute.png
File size
6.74 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

5) Select the MPU-401 as the MIDI device in Control Panel -> Multimedia -> MIDI as you did before.

6) To use the MPU-401 in DOS, open the Aureal Control Panel from the Control Panel, go to the MIDI tab, and then change the MIDI device for DOS boxes to "MPU-401" instead of "Aureal Wavetable." (no pic for this one, my kid got up last night as I was taking screenshots)

Reply 11 of 16, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is very odd indeed! Which drivers are you using? I'm using version 2048 from Phil's Computer Lab (https://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html), but it should also work with 2041 if I remember correctly.

Reply 12 of 16, by ubertrout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MadMac_5 wrote on 2024-04-29, 14:48:

That is very odd indeed! Which drivers are you using? I'm using version 2048 from Phil's Computer Lab (https://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html), but it should also work with 2041 if I remember correctly.

I'm using the 2015 driver because it works with DirectX 7.1 and higher. Could that really be the issue? I don't think it was working in DOS mode either.

Reply 13 of 16, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ubertrout wrote on 2024-04-30, 00:46:
MadMac_5 wrote on 2024-04-29, 14:48:

I'm using the 2015 driver because it works with DirectX 7.1 and higher. Could that really be the issue? I don't think it was working in DOS mode either.

I'm using 2048 with DirectX 8.1 on my PIII-500/Fury MAXX rig. I'm also using a generic AU8830 card, so that may be a small difference since mine isn't technically Aureal branded?

Reply 14 of 16, by ubertrout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MadMac_5 wrote on 2024-04-30, 13:24:

I'm using 2048 with DirectX 8.1 on my PIII-500/Fury MAXX rig. I'm also using a generic AU8830 card, so that may be a small difference since mine isn't technically Aureal branded?

I don't know! A3D in Jedi Knight wasn't working with the later drivers, but it works in 2015 with DX8.1.

I was given this card by a friend, so I have no idea what its backstory is. But he purchased it new and doesn't seem the type to abuse it. He even gave me all the games that game with it in pristine condition.

I'm travelling now but will troubleshoot more next week.

Reply 16 of 16, by ubertrout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MadMac_5 wrote on Yesterday, 03:33:

Ahh, I haven't bothered to ever try Jedi Knight on this PC with my Vortex 2 installed. I should toss it in and give it a test on 2048!

You should! I'm replaying it with a3d and it's a fun spin on a game I know well.