VOGONS

First post, by baracoota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems Philips is no longer hosting drivers for their Philips Acoustic Edge PSC706 sound cards on their websites. Every link I've tried is dead and nothing was archived on the Wayback Machine or Internet Archive . Vogons Drivers does not host these Philips drivers yet either. I'm leery of downloading anything from the various shady driver sites and would prefer to have drivers from a trusted source.

Does anyone have the Installation CD or a clean copy of the drivers? I'm looking to install this into a Windows 98 system.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 13, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had one of those - I bought it after killing the onboard sound of my Soyo K7VTA, and I used it until it wouldn't work with my P5Q Pro. This page appears to have the drivers, it was the only one I found that didn't try to link to Philips: https://driver.ru/?file_id=16446

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 13, by baracoota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks RepoMan. I'll use this as a last resort. I'm still holding out hope that someone has an image of the installation CD. I kind of want the whole bloatware experience! It looks like Philips just took their archives offline within the last month or so....

Reply 3 of 13, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd have been happy to upload the driver CD from my Acoustic Edge if I still had it, but it was lost when my (former) town burned down. That was one of a very small number of parts where I still had the original box and all of the contents. It was a good sound card, especially considering that I purchased it because it was what they had on the shelf in my nearest Best Buy (I was eager to again have sound).

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Take a look here, fourth download listed looks like the PSC70x driver you need:
Re: VOGONS Driver Library
(can't confirm the contents of the Google Drive links as on my company laptop where Google is blacklisted...)

Reply 6 of 13, by baracoota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, Pickle! That would be amazing!

Also thanks to dionb for the link. I think these are just the DOS drivers though. I didn't download them since Pickle seems to have the full Installation CD plus updates so I'll hold out for that.

I'll keep an eye out. Appreciate the help everyone!

Reply 7 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
baracoota wrote on 2024-04-23, 17:21:

Also thanks to dionb for the link. I think these are just the DOS drivers though.

Always helps to specify which OS you're looking for drivers for...

Reply 8 of 13, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2024-04-23, 20:52:
baracoota wrote on 2024-04-23, 17:21:

Also thanks to dionb for the link. I think these are just the DOS drivers though.

Always helps to specify which OS you're looking for drivers for...

i have the update packs for dos,95,98,me,xp and some other installers. Pretty sure i downloaded everything that was up at the time.
Im trying to get access to vogondrivers to upload those and the cd image.

Reply 10 of 13, by baracoota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pickle wrote on 2024-04-28, 11:40:

didnt any response to getting access to vogonsdriver, so i uploaded to archive.org

https://archive.org/details/philips-ae-706

i uploaded the cdrom iso and the zip has all of the updates i had.

Thank you so very much! This helps many more people than just myself.

Reply 11 of 13, by holdencars11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great memories of this card! I was part of the beta driver testing team on 3dSoundSurge back in the day. I received the Seismic Edge 705, Acoustic Edge and the later Sonic Edge (CMI8738 based with Philips/QSound custom drivers) free for testing purposes.
A few members of the testing team, myself included, pushed hard with the bug reporting in the Windows 98 VXD and DOS drivers, but unfortunately Philips wasn't very interested in making driver improvements to Win9X or DOS, almost all the focus was on WDM and WinXP support, which was pretty bad with the initial drivers to be honest.

You can view the back catalog of forum posts on Acoustic Edge (though beta testing forum was separate) from back in the day here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030412193355/ht … =&Board=Forum18

Ryzen5 1600AF/ASRock B450Mac/16Gb/HD7750
i7 2600K/P67A-C43/16GB/GTX560
i7 960/MSI X58 Pro/8GB/8800GTS
Athlon II x4 620/GA-M56-S3/8GB/8800GTS
Duron 1300/A7S333/512MB/MX440
6x86MX PR200/PC Chips M571/64MB/ET6000
NEC PowerMate1 268 10MHz
And another 40 rigs.

Reply 12 of 13, by baracoota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
holdencars11 wrote on 2024-04-29, 13:02:

Great memories of this card! I was part of the beta driver testing team on 3dSoundSurge back in the day. I received the Seismic Edge 705, Acoustic Edge and the later Sonic Edge (CMI8738 based with Philips/QSound custom drivers) free for testing purposes.
A few members of the testing team, myself included, pushed hard with the bug reporting in the Windows 98 VXD and DOS drivers, but unfortunately Philips wasn't very interested in making driver improvements to Win9X or DOS, almost all the focus was on WDM and WinXP support, which was pretty bad with the initial drivers to be honest.

Hi Holdencars,

What drivers would you recommend? I installed the PSC706 this weekend on a Windows 98se system and it sounded amazing! I believe I am currently using the latest VXD drivers (2.59 I think?) included in Pickle's repository. I haven't installed the WDM drivers (1.89 I think?) yet. What are the pros vs cons to either of these drivers? Do you remember?

Reply 13 of 13, by holdencars11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VXD is the pick for Win9x. From what i remember the CPU utilisation was much better compared to WDM, though WDM improved vastly though the later driver revisions..
DOS drivers can be hit and miss. It loads the ThunderBird DSP patch code in native DOS but like most PCI soundcards compatibility is best on BX chipset. I think I was also using it on VIA KT133 back in the day too, and even then it was so-so.

The QSound QMSS with 4.1 or 5.1 speakers was perhaps my favourite feature, sounded really great compared to Live!

Ryzen5 1600AF/ASRock B450Mac/16Gb/HD7750
i7 2600K/P67A-C43/16GB/GTX560
i7 960/MSI X58 Pro/8GB/8800GTS
Athlon II x4 620/GA-M56-S3/8GB/8800GTS
Duron 1300/A7S333/512MB/MX440
6x86MX PR200/PC Chips M571/64MB/ET6000
NEC PowerMate1 268 10MHz
And another 40 rigs.