VOGONS

VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 262, by Abu Brandino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-28, 14:42:
It seems you misunderstood the purpose of the Configure VSTi dialog. It is NOT supposed to output sound. It is only for selectin […]
Show full quote
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-04-28, 12:34:
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-27, 15:18:
There is no such general problem with SC-VA so it must be a configuration related problem on your side. What Midi client do you […]
Show full quote

There is no such general problem with SC-VA so it must be a configuration related problem on your side. What Midi client do you use?
First you should select the "Show VST dialog when a port is activated" option. Then check that the dialog opens when you start your Midi client and select VST Midi driver port. Then check if SC-VA reacts at all or not. And also check your Midi client is not muted in Windows mixer.
Here is a short how-to video about this:
https://youtu.be/EDKNF2BVwmQ

Well I'm trying to use it with WMP and DOSBox but there's just been no audio output. I had that option selected. SC-VA just wasn't emitting any sound when I opened the dialogue with "Configure VSTi" and then the preview button in SC-VA emits no sound when pressed.

It seems you misunderstood the purpose of the Configure VSTi dialog. It is NOT supposed to output sound. It is only for selecting and configuring the plugins that will be used by Midi clients when they actually open VST Midi driver port(s). After you selected SC-VA and configured it in Configure VSTi dialog you should simply close the dialog.
Please, watch the video linked in my previous post again.
For WMP and DosBox you have to select VST Midi driver port A or port B as default Midi output port (e.g in Coolsoft Midi mapper).

Ah yes thank you for the explanation. It works perfectly. Great tool man, it's replaced the SAVIHost with LoopMIDI method I used. Is LoopMIDI redundant now?

Reply 241 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-04-29, 15:42:
It seems you misunderstood the purpose of the Configure VSTi dialog. It is NOT supposed to output sound. It is only for selectin […]
Show full quote
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-04-28, 12:34:

Well I'm trying to use it with WMP and DOSBox but there's just been no audio output. I had that option selected. SC-VA just wasn't emitting any sound when I opened the dialogue with "Configure VSTi" and then the preview button in SC-VA emits no sound when pressed.

It seems you misunderstood the purpose of the Configure VSTi dialog. It is NOT supposed to output sound. It is only for selecting and configuring the plugins that will be used by Midi clients when they actually open VST Midi driver port(s). After you selected SC-VA and configured it in Configure VSTi dialog you should simply close the dialog.
For WMP and DosBox you have to select VST Midi driver port A or port B as default Midi output port (e.g in Coolsoft Midi mapper).

Ah yes thank you for the explanation. It works perfectly. Great tool man, it's replaced the SAVIHost with LoopMIDI method I used. Is LoopMIDI redundant now?

It depends on what you want. If you want to use the VST Midi driver global proxy (that is part of the latest version) then you still need LoopMidi to be installed. But you can delete the LoopMidi ports freely if they are disturbing you.
If you do not want to use the global proxy then LoopMidi is not needed. More info about the global proxy:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/wiki#v … er-global-proxy

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Reply 242 of 262, by Abu Brandino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-29, 15:59:
It depends on what you want. If you want to use the VST Midi driver global proxy (that is part of the latest version) then you s […]
Show full quote

It depends on what you want. If you want to use the VST Midi driver global proxy (that is part of the latest version) then you still need LoopMidi to be installed. But you can delete the LoopMidi ports freely if they are disturbing you.
If you do not want to use the global proxy then LoopMidi is not needed. More info about the global proxy:

Perfect. I'm using the global proxy now.
One last question boss, is there any functionality to record a clean WAV from the program like SAVIhost has? ATM it seems like I have to use Audacity for that, or just use SAVIHost for recording MIDI.

Reply 243 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-04-29, 16:21:
It depends on what you want. If you want to use the VST Midi driver global proxy (that is part of the latest version) then you s […]
Show full quote

One last question boss, is there any functionality to record a clean WAV from the program like SAVIhost has? ATM it seems like I have to use Audacity for that, or just use SAVIHost for recording MIDI.

No, currently you cannot record with the driver itself.

Reply 244 of 262, by Abu Brandino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-29, 17:31:

That sucks. Any plans to add that functionality? Or is it available in one of your other programs?

Reply 245 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-04-29, 22:23:

That sucks. Any plans to add that functionality? Or is it available in one of your other programs?

1. Maybe.
2. Yes, you can use FSMP (that is my Midi player that you could also see in the video that I linked above) to record audio.

Reply 246 of 262, by Abu Brandino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-29, 22:35:
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-04-29, 22:23:

1. Maybe.
2. Yes, you can use FSMP (that is my Midi player that you could also see in the video that I linked above) to record audio.

Awesome. Thank you for the info and the prompt relies you’ve been a great help! Donated.

Would be a great feature to be able to record directly off the driver like SAVIHost. That would enable me to capture clean audio from a DOS game running on DOSBox without having to run MIDI player in the background instead. In all other respects your tool is superior, it's just missing that one great feature. Hopefully one day you may implement it!

With your MIDI player, is it essential to use the Custom Patch Names for the SC-VA in SC-55 mode, or can I just use the Built-In GM patch names?

Thanks again!

Reply 247 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-04-30, 02:07:

With your MIDI player, is it essential to use the Custom Patch Names for the SC-VA in SC-55 mode, or can I just use the Built-In GM patch names?

If you also want to use the software Capital Tone Fallback (CTF) feature of FSMP then Custom Patch Names -> SC-55 is the better option. SC-VA requires this since CTF feature of the original SC-55 is not emulated by SC-VA even in SC-55 mode.

Reply 248 of 262, by Abu Brandino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-30, 07:50:

If you also want to use the software Capital Tone Fallback (CTF) feature of FSMP then Custom Patch Names -> SC-55 is the better option. SC-VA requires this since CTF feature of the original SC-55 is not emulated by SC-VA even in SC-55 mode.

If I'm using Bass for MIDI out is it necessary to use the CTF Custom Patch Name for the SC-55?

What exactly is CTF and why would I need it for the SC-55?

Reply 249 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-04-30, 10:19:

If I'm using Bass for MIDI out is it necessary to use the CTF Custom Patch Name for the SC-55?

It does not matter if you use SC-VA with the integrated VST host of FSMP or with VSTi Midi driver. Without CTF if a Midi file or a game uses wrong bank+program combinations then SC-VA stays on default instrument that usually means piano.
So you will hear wrong instruments.
With CTF enabled in case of wrong bank+program combinations SC-VA will use the corresponding capital tone instead of the missing variation tone (e.g. instead of guitar2 you will get guitar that is still better than piano).

Reply 250 of 262, by Abu Brandino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-30, 11:36:
It does not matter if you use SC-VA with the integrated VST host of FSMP or with VSTi Midi driver. Without CTF if a Midi file or […]
Show full quote

It does not matter if you use SC-VA with the integrated VST host of FSMP or with VSTi Midi driver. Without CTF if a Midi file or a game uses wrong bank+program combinations then SC-VA stays on default instrument that usually means piano.
With CTF enabled in case of wrong bank+program combinations SC-VA will use the corresponding capital tone instead of the missing variation tone (e.g. instead of guitar2 you will get guitar that is still better than piano).

Ah I see what you mean! I do have CTF enabled but I am also using the Builtin GM patch names. Changing the custom patch names every time I change modes is a bit cumbersome, so I'm asking is there any big perk to using the INS file for the SC-55/SC-88[pro] over the GM patch names.
So far I haven't had that issue in any of the DOS games I have played nor the MIDI files I've used. Have you got an example of this occurrence?

Reply 251 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-05-01, 11:30:
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-30, 11:36:
It does not matter if you use SC-VA with the integrated VST host of FSMP or with VSTi Midi driver. Without CTF if a Midi file or […]
Show full quote

Ah I see what you mean! I do have CTF enabled but I am also using the Builtin GM patch names. Changing the custom patch names every time I change modes is a bit cumbersome, so I'm asking is there any big perk to using the INS file for the SC-55/SC-88[pro] over the GM patch names.
So far I haven't had that issue in any of the DOS games I have played nor the MIDI files I've used. Have you got an example of this occurrence?

The only problem with the 'Builtin GM Patch Names' option is that you will not see the real names of active variation tones. Otherwise CTF will work the same way if you select the proper custom patches and 'Use Patch info for Capital Tone Fallback' is selected.

Reply 252 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, I have added simple wave recording capability so it will be included in the next version:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/commit … d48c2eb49b03352

Reply 253 of 262, by Abu Brandino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-05-02, 19:39:

BTW, I have added simple wave recording capability so it will be included in the next version:

Awesome! Glad to see it!

I also have an issue with the midi player app in that it takes control of my media keys on my keyboard but doesn't register itself as a media application that allows the OSD to show it. So when I cycle Spotify and iTunes it won't allow it to switch. I have to close the midi player and then re-open it after opening spotify/itunes.

This is the OSD I am referring to:
https://imgur.com/a/QJXQfH4

Reply 254 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-05-03, 11:44:
Awesome! Glad to see it! […]
Show full quote

Awesome! Glad to see it!

I also have an issue with the midi player app in that it takes control of my media keys on my keyboard but doesn't register itself as a media application that allows the OSD to show it. So when I cycle Spotify and iTunes it won't allow it to switch. I have to close the midi player and then re-open it after opening spotify/itunes.

1. AFAIK, there is no such thing on Windows as "register itself as a media application that allows the OSD to show it". Only some browsers and Spotify support that extended overlay (through some obscure UWP related media player services that FSMP cannot use )
https://github.com/microsoft/WindowsAppSDK/issues/127
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … 37-ec76219fb1ba

2. But in FSMP you can disable the global multimedia keys association by de-selecting Main menu -> Compatibility Settings -> Register Global Multimedia Keys (restarting FSMP is required).
After you disabled registering global MM keys you can still use them in FSMP but only when FSMP is the active/selected window.

Reply 255 of 262, by Abu Brandino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-05-03, 12:38:
1. AFAIK, there is no such thing on Windows as "register itself as a media application that allows the OSD to show it". Only som […]
Show full quote
Abu Brandino wrote on 2024-05-03, 11:44:
Awesome! Glad to see it! […]
Show full quote

Awesome! Glad to see it!

1. AFAIK, there is no such thing on Windows as "register itself as a media application that allows the OSD to show it". Only some browsers and Spotify support that extended overlay (through some obscure UWP related media player services that FSMP cannot use )
https://github.com/microsoft/WindowsAppSDK/issues/127
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … 37-ec76219fb1ba

2. But in FSMP you can disable the global multimedia keys association by de-selecting Main menu -> Compatibility Settings -> Register Global Multimedia Keys (restarting FSMP is required).
After you disabled registering global MM keys you can still use them in FSMP but only when FSMP is the active/selected window.

Chad! Thank you so much. You are a legend with how diligent you are responding to your user-base.

Reply 256 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New version 2.5.0 has been released:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v2.5.0
Virustotal:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8325e5907 … 6913860ca50b80c

New features/fixes:

1. Added wave file recording capability. New menu item for starting/stopping recording is added to trayicon's context menu.
Only VSTi native 32-bit float format is supported but in case of enabled 4-channel mode recording produces valid surround sound wave file with proper channel assignment (Front Spk. L/R + Back Spk. L/R). The sample rate is always the same as selected in config dialog for output.

2. Fixed Sekaiju freezing problem when either of the VST driver ports is selected.

3. Fixed 'Start global proxy' button in advanced tab of config dialog is available even when proxy is not installed problem.

This version still works with Windows NT4 SP6/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/10/11.

On NT4 ASIO output mode is not available.

The global Midi Proxy component requires WinXP SP2+ since it requires LooMidi installed and there is no version of LoopMidi that can be installed on pre WinXP SP2.

Recording works on all supported OS versions but the produced 32-bit float wave file cannot be played back on default media players of Win NT4/2000.
But e.g. Winamp 2.9+ can be installed on these OS veresions and it can play 32-bit float wave files.

PS:
It seems VEG was right and self-signed code certificate does not help anymore. So the executable is not signed since the signed executable is detected by +1 AV engine on virustotal as malicious....

Reply 257 of 262, by Zaphod Beeblebrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Falco, thanks for your continuing work on this! Been using it for a while now.

And yes, Windows Defender automatically deleted the installer for the new version, claiming it had a trojan.

I'd assume its fine anyways?

"Passion, in its essence, means to suffer for what you love."

Reply 258 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote on 2024-05-09, 20:39:

Hey Falco, thanks for your continuing work on this! Been using it for a while now.

And yes, Windows Defender automatically deleted the installer for the new version, claiming it had a trojan.

Yes, of course it's fine. I have checked only on Virustotal and seemingly Microsoft on Virustotal has not detected the file as problematic.
Could you report it to Microsoft as a false positive?

Reply 259 of 262, by Zaphod Beeblebrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-05-09, 20:46:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote on 2024-05-09, 20:39:

Yes, of course it's fine. I have checked only on Virustotal and seemingly Microsoft on Virustotal has not detected the file as problematic.
Could you report it to Microsoft as a false positive?

Sure! I've installed it anyways of course, seems to me that Defender with Cloud enabled detects way more false positives.

"Passion, in its essence, means to suffer for what you love."