VOGONS

First post, by dukeofurl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a weird experience right now on my new-to-me pc (pentium 166, dos 6.22, using unisound to enable an Opti 82c931 soundcard). Epic games such as Epic Pinball and Jazz Jackrabbit that use tracker music have distortion in the music on one channel (the other channel sounds good). Other dos games with tracker music such as Death Rally do not have the distortion, I've only experienced it with these two Epic games right now. The distortion isn't extreme, you can still mostly hear what the sound is supposed to be, but it is quite noticeable.

Here's what I've tried:
-I don't think it is a speakers/cables issue. I swapped out the speakers and cables, and also tested the audio playback with high quality headphones plugged directly into the line out of the sound card. All of these different combinations had the distorted sound in one channel. All other games that I have tried on my pc (dozens of games) do not give distorted sound like this.
-the soundcard setup menu for these games allows for you to choose different qualities of sample/music playback. I've tried lower fidelity samples that would reduce cpu overhead but that didn't fix the distortion. A pentium ought to be overkill for running these games anyway so I don't think this is an issue.
-I've tried different soundblaster settings in the sound setup that would be compatible with my card (e.g., choosing soundblaster pro, or mono soundblaster compatible), each of these options resulted in no change
-thinking that perhaps the distortion is clipping and unisound's mixer settings have the volume set too high, I changed the master volume as well as the wav playback volume of the mixer in unisound to be very low - however there was no change with the distortion. I've also played with the volume levels for audio in the games' options screens, but that has no effect.

Not sure what else to test right now other than perhaps installing the OEM drivers for this card instead of enabling it with unisound. Open to ideas.

Reply 1 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dukeofurl wrote on 2024-05-09, 02:10:

I have a weird experience right now on my new-to-me pc (pentium 166, dos 6.22, using unisound to enable an Opti 82c931 soundcard). Epic games such as Epic Pinball and Jazz Jackrabbit that use tracker music have distortion in the music on one channel (the other channel sounds good).

I remember encountering something similar with my OPTi 82C930 card. Eventually, I found a driver pack which contains fixes for the Epic games (EPICFIX.ZIP). While I'm not sure this will work for your card, since it's slightly newer, it doesn't hurt to try.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that you install the drivers from that pack on your card, just that you try applying the contents of EPICFIX.ZIP to your games.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 3, by dukeofurl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So... I tried out these game specific fixes for Jazz and Epic Pinball and the overall effect of using them is that the distorted channel and clean channel have swapped! I still have the distortion but at least its clear its a driver/software issue rather than a speaker/cable issue in any case.

I've also found out that the distortion stops during Epic Pinball if I hit esc, which pauses the game (the music still plays). Not sure why that would be the case.