VOGONS

Reply 900 of 927, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That’s a GUS PnP (clone). Looks like this:

IMG_9644.jpeg

AMD K6-III+ 400 ATZ @ 550 MHz 1.8V | Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2 | 256MB 100MHz SDRAM CL2 | 32GB CF Card | 3DFX Voodoo 4 4500 32MB @ 183MHz | Orpheus II LT with X2GS-SE Wavetable | Gravis UltraSound PnP (clone) with 16MB SIMM

Reply 901 of 927, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah this is certainly not correct
these are the LT PnP devices that the system should detect :

QkLh3uH.jpg

what happens is that the extra interwave-based card has it's SB emulation devices enabled and these conflict with the ones on the LT board
you do not need the SB/WSS/MPU emulation devices on the Interwave to be enabled - since you do have the real things now on the LT
so you can use something like the GUS PnP XSS InterWave EEPROM Toolz 1.3 to disable them and get rid of conflicts

in the end you will end up with something similar to the "full" OprheusII - you can even use the drivers posted there for your card

edit:
and this is what the devices should look after the extra interwave stuff get disabled (names might be a little different)

dRSVSrO.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 902 of 927, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already had all that stuff disabled due to using an AWE64 before. That not all the stuff is listed is just the weird way it displays things in the ISA column.
And I was already using the Gravis part of your driver pack before since the default drivers are just a big headache. That’s btw also the reason i got the LT instead of the full version. I already had the GUS PnP part before. Now i have a DIY Orpheus II Full.

And maybe you guys got me wrong: Everything works already! 😀

I was just confused how since all these PCI devices share the same IRQs. Maybe i missed something about IRQs work on PCI.

EDIT: I do have a few questions though. The Crystal MPU401 seems to grab IRQ11, since I don’t plan to use the Crystal MPU401 is it possible to disable that so the resource gets freed for other stuff?
Also is there a way to get Crystal FM working in Windows?

AMD K6-III+ 400 ATZ @ 550 MHz 1.8V | Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2 | 256MB 100MHz SDRAM CL2 | 32GB CF Card | 3DFX Voodoo 4 4500 32MB @ 183MHz | Orpheus II LT with X2GS-SE Wavetable | Gravis UltraSound PnP (clone) with 16MB SIMM

Reply 903 of 927, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah OK - then it is some BIOS/PnP naming strangeness... as long as it works who cares what the names are 😀

CS-MPU does not really use any IRQ - under DOS just disable with orpheus.ini and under windows just disable the device - IRQ11 will be free anyways

ESFM is getting installed with the Crystal drivers -> in Control Panel inside Multimedia Properties if you go to MIDI tab you will be able to chose what FM synth you like to use for output:

vVvKKPvm.jpg

if you *really* want to disable the cs-mpu pnp entry alltogether then a new firmware needs to be flashed, in this case contact me about it
it was not needed so far and firmware flashes have their risks that is why there are no such downloads for the orpheus2 cards

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 904 of 927, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-05-23, 13:45:
ah OK - then it is some BIOS/PnP naming strangeness... as long as it works who cares what the names are :) […]
Show full quote

ah OK - then it is some BIOS/PnP naming strangeness... as long as it works who cares what the names are 😀

CS-MPU does not really use any IRQ - under DOS just disable with orpheus.ini and under windows just disable the device - IRQ11 will be free anyways

ESFM is getting installed with the Crystal drivers -> in Control Panel inside Multimedia Properties if you go to MIDI tab you will be able to chose what FM synth you like to use for output:

vVvKKPvm.jpg

if you *really* want to disable the cs-mpu pnp entry alltogether then a new firmware needs to be flashed, in this case contact me about it
it was not needed so far and firmware flashes have their risks that is why there are no such downloads for the orpheus2 cards

Indeed, I think on my board it only shows ISA devices that have actively communicated during the ESCD process. There is no "active" collum compared to your boards overview.

Okay, thanks. Was kinda confused why the ISA-PNP overview showed MPU-401 IRQ11.

Oh i didn't see that yet, i assumed it would show up in the device manager. Thanks!

Btw I found a way to permanently unmute the Crystal line-in in Windows DOS-Boxes (in order to get the GUS PnP working in my case). You can put the CWDMIX.EXE
into the Windows AUTOEXEC.bat with a couple paramenters. Then it's active for all DOS windows that get started. Tried that with Impulse Tracker and One Must Fall 2097 already.
I use "CWDMIX /M=9,9 /W=9,9 /L=15,15 /X=1 /F=9,9 /C=1,1 /I=L".

Reply 905 of 927, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CHA0SHACKER wrote on 2024-05-23, 13:59:
[...] Btw I found a way to permanently unmute the Crystal line-in in Windows DOS-Boxes (in order to get the GUS PnP working in m […]
Show full quote

[...]
Btw I found a way to permanently unmute the Crystal line-in in Windows DOS-Boxes (in order to get the GUS PnP working in my case). You can put the CWDMIX.EXE
into the Windows AUTOEXEC.bat with a couple paramenters. Then it's active for all DOS windows that get started. Tried that with Impulse Tracker and One Must Fall 2097 already.

good tip - I will add it to the site , thanks! 😀

btw I forgot to mention that even if you leave the CSMPU enabled - all it will occupy is a port: 300 or 330 depending on what PCMIDI is using

Reply 906 of 927, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-05-23, 14:19:
CHA0SHACKER wrote on 2024-05-23, 13:59:
[...] Btw I found a way to permanently unmute the Crystal line-in in Windows DOS-Boxes (in order to get the GUS PnP working in m […]
Show full quote

[...]

good tip - I will add it to the site , thanks! 😀

btw I forgot to mention that even if you leave the CSMPU enabled - all it will occupy is a port: 300 or 330 depending on what PCMIDI is using

Best way to get the required parameters is just to double click the CWDMIX and adjust settings the settings in the appearing DOS window and then hit save. It will ask if it should modify the AUTOEXEC accordingly. This is how i found my parameters.

Reply 907 of 927, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can somebody explain these PNP settings that were detected on my Orpheus 2? (full; non-lt)

IMG_0785.jpeg

I don't see the full list from the earlier post?

WSS/SB makes sense since it's using IRQ 5 and DMA 1. (I'm assuming the "1,0" means the second DMA isn't assigned?)

I'm not sure what MPU-401 is since I have PCMIDI enabled and I'm unsure about Synth & Codec?

Reply 908 of 927, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What type of BIOS is in the machine. The "full list" seen above is from an Award Modular BIOS 4.51G from the late Socket 7 and Pentium II era.

Reply 909 of 927, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you should really don't pay any real attention to the resources BIOSes allocate - they are most of the times the "wrong" ones and once drivers get loaded the desired good values are used
BIOS just tries to enable all detected devices and allocate some combo of resources by reading the device tables - it's almost a hit and miss and BIOS depended
in my case no resources are listed allocated, sofakng's example does not show disabled devices and CTRL/GAME/OPL but that means nothing in the end 😉

About names:
Synth&Codec is the InterWave
WSS/SB is the CS4237
MPU-401 is CSMPU
"disabled device" is the disabled emulation-assistance InterWave devices
CTRL is CS4237 control device
GAME is CS4237 gameport
Orpheus OPL3 is self explanatory 🤣

Reply 910 of 927, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2024-05-24, 02:32:

WSS/SB makes sense since it's using IRQ 5 and DMA 1. (I'm assuming the "1,0" means the second DMA isn't assigned?)

DMA0 exists. Is used for WSS sound by Tyrian for example.
If no DMA is assigned it shows “NA” .

NJRoadfan wrote on 2024-05-24, 03:12:

What type of BIOS is in the machine. The "full list" seen above is from an Award Modular BIOS 4.51G from the late Socket 7 and Pentium II era.

I can only speak for my board, but it’s running Award 4.51G. It’s a Gigabyte GA-5AX.

Reply 911 of 927, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-05-24, 05:45:

you should really don't pay any real attention to the resources BIOSes allocate - they are most of the times the "wrong" ones and once drivers get loaded the desired good values are used
BIOS just tries to enable all detected devices and allocate some combo of resources by reading the device tables - it's almost a hit and miss and BIOS depended
in my case no resources are listed allocated, sofakng's example does not show disabled devices and CTRL/GAME/OPL but that means nothing in the end 😉

OK - Thanks! One of the reasons for the questions is because I'm trying to understand how PnP works.

What exactly is the BIOS doing? Is it telling the cards (using PnP) to use the resources it's indicated? If that is correct, then these resources (IRQs, DMAs) would be unavailable to other devices (unless they are changed using drivers/software) ?

keropi wrote on 2024-05-24, 05:45:
About names: Synth&Codec is the InterWave WSS/SB is the CS4237 MPU-401 is CSMPU "disabled device" is the disabled emulation-assi […]
Show full quote

About names:
Synth&Codec is the InterWave
WSS/SB is the CS4237
MPU-401 is CSMPU
"disabled device" is the disabled emulation-assistance InterWave devices
CTRL is CS4237 control device
GAME is CS4237 gameport
Orpheus OPL3 is self explanatory 🤣

Is it concerning that the BIOS PnP doesn't detect (?) or show the CTRL / GAME / OPL3 devices? Does this just mean these devices aren't initialized/configured and need the drivers/software to assign them?

Reply 912 of 927, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sofakng wrote on 2024-05-24, 15:56:

What exactly is the BIOS doing? Is it telling the cards (using PnP) to use the resources it's indicated? If that is correct, then these resources (IRQs, DMAs) would be unavailable to other devices (unless they are changed using drivers/software) ?

Is it concerning that the BIOS PnP doesn't detect (?) or show the CTRL / GAME / OPL3 devices? Does this just mean these devices aren't initialized/configured and need the drivers/software to assign them?

To explain it very crudely each pnp device has a table of "best" "good" and "acceptable" resource values. BIOS takes into account all tables and tries to allocate resources as best as it can. Sometimes it succeeds and things are acceptable, sometimes it's bonkers. But ultimately this does not matter much - as when drivers are loaded the correct resources get assigned and pnp-aware OSes like win9x can even inform the BIOS on the good values.
There is nothing to worry about if game/ctrl/etc or disabled devices are not shown - it's just some bios option set by manufacturer to show these or limit the number of entries per card.

Reply 913 of 927, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks again very much for the explanation!

Reply 914 of 927, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played around with it a little now but i need a bit of help with Orphinit.
I’m in SB mode and the GUS (which comes through line in) is a little too quiet while the wavetable (X2GS-SE) is nearly blowing out my ears. Which values do I need to adjust exactly since inputs are mentioned multiple times with multiple different values.

Also which connector on the PC speaker is +?

Reply 915 of 927, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played around with it a little now but i need a bit of help with Orphinit.
I’m in SB mode and the GUS (which comes through line in) is a little too quiet while the wavetable (X2GS-SE) is nearly blowing out my ears. It’s routed through PC-MIDI. Which values do I need to adjust exactly since inputs are mentioned multiple times with multiple different values.

Also which connector on the PC speaker is +?

Last edited by CHA0SHACKER on 2024-05-24, 21:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 916 of 927, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaker has no polarity on orpheus so connect any way you want
Wt, FM and Gus are all considered "music/synth" so they are all controlled by the FMVol setting
If X2GS is too loud then connect it to a modern pc via usb and with the serdashop tools for it lower it's volume: the setting will be saved on the X2GS fw

Reply 917 of 927, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-05-24, 20:09:

Speaker has no polarity on orpheus so connect any way you want
Wt, FM and Gus are all considered "music/synth" so they are all controlled by the FMVol setting
If X2GS is too loud then connect it to a modern pc via usb and with the serdashop tools for it lower it's volume: the setting will be saved on the X2GS fw

Thanks for the other Information though. Will test that ASAP.

Remember that my GUS comes through line-in since it's another ISA card. I already set the SB to use Line-In instead of mic.

btw. should i run the orphinit.exe directly or the batch file that comes with it?

Reply 918 of 927, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah yes - I was thinking about orpheus2 gus implementation
then ofcourse it is the SB-LineVol setting
but keep in mind - games have the tendency to mess with the mixer values
perhaps you can do the reverse: have LT going to GUS line-input -> no sb game will touch the interwave mixer settings

Reply 919 of 927, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. That might a good idea. I will test a few things and if that does not give me my desired result i will rewire to make the GUS the primary card.

What about Orphinit? Batch or executable?

EDIT: PC Speaker seems to have polarity though. Had to connect + to the side that is to the CD connector to get it to work. No sound comes through when i switch around the cables.
Also interesting: You don't need the extra CWDMIX file on Windows. The 9X driver installs one to the WINDOWS directory that can be used to set up the AUTOEXEC.BAT of 9X.

EDIT2: Managed to adjust inputs to my liking now. Perfect! Everything works now.