VOGONS

Reply 980 of 989, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

github guide is just not clear to me 😀 but i got the soundblaster mode working 0 problems with duke3d both version and blood work perfect
so there is bug in the gravis mode firmware ??

https://youtu.be/qEjMqkb-ejQ?si=Ngmv8FjvwjiBVQLP

Reply 981 of 989, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
scroeffie wrote on 2024-06-09, 18:39:

github guide is just not clear to me 😀 but i got the soundblaster mode working 0 problems with duke3d both version and blood work perfect
so there is bug in the gravis mode firmware ??

https://youtu.be/qEjMqkb-ejQ?si=Ngmv8FjvwjiBVQLP

All you have to do is choose the options in the setup program that match what the hardware is set to. You seemed to just pick random values until you finally guessed the right ones.
Why change the address setting when the setup program is telling you the IRQ is wrong?
Why did you choose IRQ 5 right after you set the jumper on the card to IRQ 7?

Reply 982 of 989, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

because i dont understand the numbers on the card 😀 iam also not good with software 1133 ? < there is no option in the setup menu for that
adress 240 did not work so i tried 220 and irq 5 irq 7 did not work not shure why

Reply 983 of 989, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
scroeffie wrote on 2024-06-09, 20:50:

because i dont understand the numbers on the card 😀 iam also not good with software 1133 ? < there is no option in the setup menu for that
adress 240 did not work so i tried 220 and irq 5 irq 7 did not work not shure why

Seriously? sigh.

you have the choice between DMA 1 & DMA 3 in software.
For the hardware selection of either DMA1 or DMA3 you HAVE TO SET BOTH JUMPERS marked 1 or 3 for the respective DMA1 or DMA3.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 985 of 989, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
scroeffie wrote on 2024-06-09, 21:07:

i have no idea what you are talking about but i wil try and do some more testing tomorrow ,wil load the gravis firmware and test again
maybe i did something wrong ?

scroeffie, i think a few of us are trying help you but if you dont want to read the basics about setting up the card its hard to give you more time.

This is straight from the wiki page and Im not sure how this confusing. There is a picture as well that shows a IRQ of 5 and DMA of 1.

Choose a free IRQ and DMA on your system. A single jumper sets the IRQ, and two jumpers are used to set the DMA. In the following image, the jumpers are set for IRQ 5 and DMA 1, which are typical for GUS emulation. If you are using DMA 1, both DMA jumpers marked "1" must be closed, and for DMA 3, both DMA jumpers marked "3" must be closed.

Go a little lower in the wiki and there is section covering the autoexec settings
The ULTRASND variable has to match the IRQ and DMA you selected on the card or if your using Sound Blaster the BLASTER variable should match the IRQ and DMA you selected on the card.

Also study the options returned by the pgusinit application.

Reply 986 of 989, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For DMA 1 it needs to look like this; two jumpers on each of the DMA 1 channel headers.

PXL_20240609_215803016.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240609_215803016.jpg
File size
243.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 988 of 989, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
scroeffie wrote on 2024-06-09, 21:07:

i have no idea what you are talking about but i wil try and do some more testing tomorrow ,wil load the gravis firmware and test again
maybe i did something wrong ?

Scroeffie, please flash the PG-GUS.UF2 to your card with PGUSINIT.EXE /f PG-GUS.UF2
Then, do the following Setup :

SETUP

1. JUMPERS

1-jumpers.png
Filename
1-jumpers.png
File size
214.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

^ This works for Gravis Ultrasound firmware and also for Sound Blaster firmware (and all other firmwares, too). Be certain your jumpers are exactly this. Do NOT change them, when flashing new firmwares. Leave them as this, always.

2. AUTOEXEC.BAT

In your AUTOEXEC.BAT, always include these three lines :

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T3
SET ULTRASND=240,1,1,5,5
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRASND

3. Install the Ultrasound Software

Download the GUS v4.11 software installation .zip, and unzip the contents to C:\ULTRASND
GUS v4.11 software installation .zip

4. Configure a game

Run your game's setup program. Choose the Gravis Ultrasound, Address 240, IRQ 5, DMA 1.
Run your game. Success?
Setup is complete.

THEN

To play a game in Sound Blaster mode :

• run PGUSINIT /f PG-SB.UF2
  • Configure your game to Sound Blaster, Address 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1
  • Run your game

To play a game in Ultrasound mode:

• run PGUSINIT /f PG-GUS.UF2
  • Configure your game to Gravis Ultrasound, Address 240, IRQ 5, DMA 1
  • Run your game

That is all. DO NOT edit jumpers or edit autoexec.bat for each mode change.