VOGONS

Reply 320 of 590, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fagear wrote:

I've tested TEST6 on LS 5MVP3 + K6-2: no sound.
After launch it outputs a string: "_DEBUG: event_frequency: 1000000, scale=2**32 + 829706077".

Same problem on my system AMD K6-III with MVP3 board.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 321 of 590, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Marmes wrote:

for 6581 all chinese are fakes. try to get from reliable sources or remove them from dead c64 breadbins.

I just got 4 from China, bought on Taobao. The second I tested worked fine, maybe I'm just lucky. I'll test the other 2 as well, just to be sure.

I bought two from two different sellers to try and see if that made a difference. One seller sent me two 6581's with datecode 2383, only tested one of these, but got no sound. They looked a bit supicious as they looked brand new.

The two others were a chip with datecode 2484 and another with 2684 and both had a much more "authentic" look to them (they came from the same seller). Using the 2684 in my SSI-2001 replica atm and it sounds as it should when I compare it to other recordings (only Bad Blood and Ultima 6 tested so far).

EDIT: All tested, both the 6581's with 84 datecode sound normal. Both the 2383 datecode 6585's are dead. Just proves you can buy from China and get the real stuff, but be aware 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 323 of 590, by amigo-mexicano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got my cards two days ago, thanks!

But I see both just the same, how can I tell which one is for 8580 and which for 6581? 😮

Also I received my SIDs from shock__ 😁

Thanks to you both!

amigo-mexicano
Retro computer-and-console nerd from Mexico City!
www.videogamedose.com

Reply 324 of 590, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amigo-mexicano wrote:

But I see both just the same, how can I tell which one is for 8580 and which for 6581? O_o

There small voltage regulator (looks like transistor, 3 pin, black plastic) installed over sid socket (for 8580) or not installed and pins shortcutted (for 6581).

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 325 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amigo-mexicano wrote:

But I see both just the same, how can I tell which one is for 8580 and which for 6581? 😮

I'm sorry, I didn't mark them.
Here is visual manual for you:
1062649.jpg

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 326 of 590, by amigo-mexicano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excellent, thanks for the help. I will test them this weekend! 😁

amigo-mexicano
Retro computer-and-console nerd from Mexico City!
www.videogamedose.com

Reply 327 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

Whats the price for an empty PCB?

Empty PCB = $25.
For the moment I have no PCBs left.
But if there will be enough people, who want more boards - I will spin another batch of PCBs.

If anyone want's new PCBs - leave message in this thread.

Reply 329 of 590, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm assembling this card right now and I was wondering about this 10µF cap near the line-in connector. Is this in the analog circuit, and does it form a filter with one of the resistors above it? If so wouldn't it be possible to use a lower value film cap here, keeping R*C the same?

Reply 330 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

10µF cap near the line-in connector. Is this in the analog circuit, and does it form a filter with one of the resistors above it? If so wouldn't it be possible to use a lower value film cap here, keeping R*C the same?

Yep, this is output circuit. 10uF cap and then 1k resistor (right one) to ground. You can replace those as you want.

Reply 331 of 590, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, thanks. I found some 470n caps that fit nicely, so I'll have to replace this resistor with 22k then.

One more question, what does the 10k resistor do, and why is it a carbon 5% type instead of metal 1% like the rest?

Reply 332 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

One more question, what does the 10k resistor do, and why is it a carbon 5% type instead of metal 1% like the rest?

It is part of divider in the output circuitry from C64 (R9):
1063060.jpg

All resistors on the replica do not have to be precision ones. Most of the resistors are 1% just because it was cheaper to buy than 5% or 10% for the same amount. 🤣

Reply 333 of 590, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, got it. Since it's in the analog circuit I think I'd rather use a metal film resistor here. Probably won't hear the difference, but oh well.

That was the last part, will clean it tomorrow and then it's ready to test 😀 (though my computer still isn't...)

Reply 334 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

I tried the new version of SIDTEST (TEST6.EXE) and it did not work at all

Also tried this version on two more platforms:
Intel P233MMX + Asus TX97-E
AMD Am5x86@133 + Soyo SY-4SAW2

No sound at all. Software launches fine, but doesn't work. But old version of software works fine on all three systems (except playback speed due to slow CPUs).

Reply 336 of 590, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally built my card - filters and voltage regulator socketed for easy SID switching, as well as every chip for easy repairs 😀 http://i.imgur.com/HaXjBcK.jpg

Didn't want to work straight away, but did after I replaced some logic (hence some chips being 1533 contrary to 555) ... maybe re-seating them may have helped as well? Either way it now works perfectly.
Awesome stuff.

Where'd you get those PCBs made btw? Pricing was quite low, while the quality of the boards is just great.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 337 of 590, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

Finally built my card - filters and voltage regulator socketed for easy SID switching, as well as every chip for easy repairs 😀

Great! Looks pretty good. 😎

shock__ wrote:

Didn't want to work straight away, but did after I replaced some logic (hence some chips being 1533 contrary to 555) ... maybe re-seating them may have helped as well? Either way it now works perfectly.

Yeah, maybe just bad contact with sockets... 😕

shock__ wrote:

Where'd you get those PCBs made btw? Pricing was quite low, while the quality of the boards is just great.

That's manufacturer in Russia - Rezonit.

Reply 339 of 590, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, they focused only on local market. Here's a great amount of bureaucracy, if you want to send something abroad, as a legal entity.
So create something in Russia and sell abroad - is almost impossible.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600