VOGONS

First post, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everything seems to be working great with one exception -- I don't have any sound out of my sound card. The only flag in my Device Manager is the "Standard PS/2 Port Mouse". I am using USB for both my keyboard and mouse with no, noticeable, issues.

If I open the Play Control (speaker icon in the system tray), I can see the volume levels go up and down next to the Play Control volume adjustment while sound is being played. I've played MIDI and WAV. I've tested 2 working headphones, 1 working power analog speaker, and 1 working digital (via SPDIF). I've tested the card in two different PCI slots.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hardware

• Motherboard ASUS CUV4X-E
    CPU INTEL Pentium III 1GHz
    Memory Micron PC133 PC133 CL3 2 x 256MB
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 2 Ultra 64MB
    Sound Card Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (CT4780)
    Hard Drive Quantum Fireball Plus IDE (LM30A011-01-A) 30GB

Software
This is what I have installed in the order that I installed it.

1. Windows 98 SE (4.10.2222 A)
  2. USB Mass Storage Device Drivers
  3. DirectX 9.0c
  4. Sound Blaster (Live! Series) Drivers
  5. ASUS CUV4x-E C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Driver V2.88B
  6. VIA 4-in-1 4.24
  7. nVidia 71.84 Win9x
  8. Asus CUV4X-E (without Audio) Beta BIOS 1005.005
Last edited by w0lf42 on 2019-01-28, 07:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since you see volume levels go up and down, this suggests that software is working, while hardware does not. The card may be defective; are you sure you are plugging your gear into the correct output jack? The other thing could be a hardware mute on the card, but I am not aware of SBLive! having such a feature.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Double check that the c-Media isn't the primary playback device is set in control panel/sound.
I've been tricked by the onboard sound more then once!

Reply 3 of 3, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Three sound cards later and things are working. I'm rocking a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (SB0060).