VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After removing the leaking battery from my SC-55 I wonder: Does the MT-32 have a battery as well? Or am I safe in not opening it?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There are some modifications that bring a battery with them but you would know if you had a modded mt32

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I just got it, so maybe I better have a look inside…?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

In 99% of cases you really don't have to. I didn't want to lead you on

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No battery and only 4 screws along the outer bottom to remove. DO NOT REMOVE the other screws along the bottom plate as those are literally the screws that hold the standoffs in place that the main MT-32 PCB is sitting on. Also you get a sense for how budget built the MT-32 is when you open it. No real shielding to speak of unless you count the case itself and the VR is just bolted to the side of the inner case with wire leads on a connector plugged into it. No thermal paste and the VR is an old all plastic encased version made by Mitsubishi and now no longer available. I always wondered why the thing got so warm on the right hand side and now I know. I actually replaced out the VR on mine with a newer 2amp output variant 7805 and applied some thermal paste to it for better heat dissipation from the VR. Still gets warm on that side, but at least I know most of it isn't being contained to the VR now.

So yeah I was quite surprised by how built to a cost MT-32 is. My MT-200 is way more complicated and built more like tank with lots of proper grounding and shielding around components.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 7 of 9, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrossBow777 wrote:

So yeah I was quite surprised by how built to a cost MT-32 is. My MT-200 is way more complicated and built more like tank with lots of proper grounding and shielding around components.

Its so built to cost they didnt even trim the DAC 🤣 save every penny!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 8 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And yet here we are paying premium money for one…

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 9 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did not pay that much of a premium for mine. It was about $65 shipped. It was just the module alone, no power supply or cables and heck was untested but I feel pretty good about what I paid for it. I see that modules alone do seem to have a high price asked of them but I don't know how many actually sell for those asking prices.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20