VOGONS

First post, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Quick" question:
I recently got a CM-64 without cables. I made a cable via this http://amorphe-welt.de/bastelei/midi/midikabel.html

DIN - D-sub
---------------
2 - 4
4 - 8
5 - 15

After a quick test i diddn't get sound, so i want to know if this pinout is correct, so i can rule the cable out.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is a simple schematic for a gameport->midi-out adapter:

tzvAwcJl.png

you connect it to the CM-64's IN port and it will work fine... straight cable connections are not a good idea.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 12, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok thanks, if i get a 74LS00 i'll do that thing.
But, should i have gotten sound or not? What will/would happen with a straight connection?

What about those midi/gameport-cables you can get on amazon/ebay? Do the have this circuit?

Reply 3 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quite a few ways it can go wrong when directly connected. Part of the reason for the physical connection spec is that it's much more predictable.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With direct connection there may not be enough current to drive the LED in the optoisolator on the receiving end, depending on what sort of resistor is used in series with the MIDI line.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 12, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
this is a simple schematic for a gameport->midi-out adapter: […]
Show full quote

this is a simple schematic for a gameport->midi-out adapter:

tzvAwcJl.png

you connect it to the CM-64's IN port and it will work fine... straight cable connections are not a good idea.

Ok got a 74LS00. Ist pin 15 not connected? or ist there a line missing in that graphic`? And 8 and 9 are not connected?

Reply 7 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes the schematic is edited to only include the MIDI out port , the IN port requires some more components and it is not needed for gaming/playback

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By convention NAND gate pins 1, 2, 4, and 5 should be strapped to ground (or +5V) and not allowed to float.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 12, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes exactly, but in that pic/schematic the din-connector is "midi out".

edit: i know, i'm counting beans here. I know that the midi signals are going out on that side. But if you have a connector on a device that is called "midi out" i would use another description 😁

Reply 12 of 12, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh i forgot, many thanks it works!

WP_20191108_003.jpg
Filename
WP_20191108_003.jpg
File size
245.04 KiB
Views
File license