VOGONS

First post, by protivakid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old AZTech 2316 I38-MMSN834 card from a Packard Bell which they refer to as the "Rocky" series of cards and Windows 95 detected as the "Sound Galaxy Washington 16". It's a non P&P ISA card so I was able to source the drivers and install those. FYI these were actually really hard to find but there is a FB group that runs a server with old Packard Bell files. Finally I got them and am attaching here for future readers that can't find the SOUND144 folder with the install files.

Anyways, what I've noticed is 1) that the card is only outputting single channel audio, and 2) the audio sounds fuzzy at times. I included a sample video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwhx9T40sxg

Any ideas? Is the card simply bad? I know it's old so I imagine the components such as the caps could use some refreshing. I have tried playing around with different jumper settings on the board, as well as IRQ settings within the installer, but none made any difference.

Attachments

• Filename
    rocky_20.rar
    File size
    987.56 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by protivakid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote:

The recording sounds like new caps could solve your problem. 😀

re-cap the whole card or just specific ones? I imagine the modem-related caps won't make any difference for example

Reply 3 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
protivakid wrote:

FYI these were actually really hard to find but there is a FB group that runs a server with old Packard Bell files. Finally I got them and am attaching here for future readers that can't find the SOUND144 folder with the install files.

You mind sharing the Facebook group details? Might actually be a good idea to retrieve some of those Packard Bell files and host them as well on Vogonsdrivers.

Reply 4 of 6, by protivakid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:
protivakid wrote:

FYI these were actually really hard to find but there is a FB group that runs a server with old Packard Bell files. Finally I got them and am attaching here for future readers that can't find the SOUND144 folder with the install files.

You mind sharing the Facebook group details? Might actually be a good idea to retrieve some of those Packard Bell files and host them as well on Vogonsdrivers.

The group is called the "Retro Computer and Packard Bell Planet". The admins run an FTP server containing many Packard Bell Master CD's, Drivers, Software, etc.

Reply 6 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"When one cap goes all follow", so you would want to replace all of them. The distortion sounds digital though, like there's data corruption along the way to the card during the DMA playback, chances are recap fixes it but you will also want to try playing with ISA speed and wait states (IO recovery time) and maybe changing DMA channel to something else (DMA0 doesn't work properly on some motherboards for example).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜