VOGONS

First post, by greg2002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't seem to get my Sound Blaster 16 to work on my IBM AT 286. Any suggestions ?

Reply 1 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What model? Is it a PnP card or is it jumpered?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 10, by greg2002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it's PNP, and says 386 required, but I don't see why. My Sound Blaster Pro 2 works fine, and the Sound Blaster 16 is only the next generation. I need it to run in DOS.

Reply 3 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could be a Plug and Play issue. Early implementations of PnP were flaky at times.

That said, you wouldn't get much benefit from using a SB16 instead of a SB Pro on that machine. Only late-era DOS games supported 16-bit sound samples and it's unlikely that they would run well (if at all) on a 286.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What did you do so far and what does not work?

Does CTCM find the card at all? (that's Creative's mini PnP manager)

Reply 5 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also run CTCU to check your PnP card's configuration.
You also need to check that you don't have other devices that conflicts with the DMA & IRQ settings of your card. What other devices do you installed?

Reply 6 of 10, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Creative Tools require 386 CPU,
but you could use CT4170.EXE instead or Intel ICU

Intel ICU
ftp://ftp.dosreloaded.de/Plug&Play/Intel%20ICU/

CT4170:
ftp://ftp.dosreloaded.de/Soundkarten/Creative … 6%20PNP%20Tool/

or you can combine CTCM with EMU386. ( With many limitations.. )
http://survpc.tripod.com/emu386/

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 10, by greg2002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys !!!! I will try tomorrow to get it working, using all of your ideas. I use a SB Pro (CT1600) in one of my ATs and it works fine. I went with the SB 16 because it was so much cheaper than a Pro and it was brand new, unopened, with manual and installation disk.

Reply 9 of 10, by greg2002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success !!! I changed the motherboard (to go from 6 to 8 MHz) in my AT, so I added the Sound Blaster 16 card right after the disk controller, HardCard, and video cards (and also a temporary 128MB memory board so Install would run) and I now have SOUND !! Must have been an IRQ conflict with the SCSI controller. I will install that and the CD player tomorrow and then play some music !!

Thanks for the help !!

Reply 10 of 10, by greg2002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did have an I/O address issue with the Adaptec 1505 scsi card and Hardcard XL, so I had to install the NEC scsi card because it let me change the address. The Adaptec has only 1 jumper so you get to choose one of 2 addresses, but they both caused issues. Anyway, now running CDs with sound !!