VOGONS

Realtek ALC888 driver

Topic actions

First post, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get winME running on a gigabyte ga-ma69vm-s2 motherboard. This thing was made around the time of vista and only has driver support for xp and vista. Not for 9x. It uses the Realtek ALC888 chip. I don't find any official WinME (or Win98) driver for this so I was wondering if there is any way to get sound working while using the onboard sound.

Reply 1 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Out of curiosity, I've tried using the Realtek AC97 drivers with no success. Pretty sure it's a non starter.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ALC888's an "HD Audio" chip so it's far beyond AC'97 help. At that point you might as well jam in a decent PCI video card and a crappy PCI sound card, or re-assess your perspective of hardware for making a Win9x system. Win9x support in new hardware was well dead by 2008....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 5, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2019-12-29, 11:07:

ALC888's an "HD Audio" chip so it's far beyond AC'97 help. At that point you might as well jam in a decent PCI video card and a crappy PCI sound card, or re-assess your perspective of hardware for making a Win9x system. Win9x support in new hardware was well dead by 2008....

I tried AC'97 (different versions), does not work. I know I could put in a soundcard (if I had any) but was hoping to keep it simple. The system is intended for a multiboot ME/XP. Got all the drivers I need for XP but ME is a lot harder. I guess there is no way to get "Realtek HD Audio" working on 9x...

Reply 5 of 5, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Asus A8V has some sort of ALC chip, maybe an 850 though? Maybe worth a shot trying it?

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.