VOGONS

W98 ISA + PCI

Topic actions

First post, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've been reading a few threads on this topic and most people seem to be asking about how to physically set up the whole thing, but that's not an issue for me, since I have a mixer with a couple of empty inputs.

I have a 694T board with an ISA slot currently sporting an OPTi SB16 clone that sounds pretty good. I use this computer mostly for late 90s games, and some of them use DirectSound. This seems to be an issue for this card, so I got an Audigy 2 ZS that should be arriving in a few days.

I see how it would be simple to make this work under DOS; basically, leave it as it is now, as it's working fine. However, how do I deal with the Windows 98 side of things? Is it just a matter of installing the infamous VXD drivers and selecting somewhere in the Multimedia settings in the Control Panel? Do I need to disable the ISA card in the device manager? I installed a MIDI daughterboard onto it, and even though it won't happen often, I'd still like to use the OPTi card when playing DOS games from inside Windows. Is there a way of disabling the emulation from the Audigy 2 for that and use the OPTi card instead?

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 3, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny, it looks like I have a similar configuration. Audigy 2ZS and an OPTi Mad16 Pro on Windows 98SE.

It's actually very easy to disable the SoundBlaster emulation of the Audigy: It installs an SB emulation device into the device manager, which can be disabled.

I have not installed Windows drivers for the OPTi, only DOS (from philscomputerlab). They get loaded before Windows runs and thus can be used inside Windows, too (only for DOS programs, of course).

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 2 of 3, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird. The Audigy2 does not support DOS emulation out of the box. You need to hack the driver to make it work. So unless you did that, the answer is you should not have to do anything.

Reply 3 of 3, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I installed everything yesterday and, as kolderman says, I really didn't have to do anything. Just pick the Audigy as a default in the sound settings, for Windows, and the MAD16's MPU401 for the wave blaster in the MIDI section.

Thanks!