VOGONS

Yamaha SW1000XG

Topic actions

First post, by YeetStreet9x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All!

A friend of mine works for a home cleanup and restoration company that cleans up from home disasters. from a recent job, three computers were written off but were still in working order, so I picked em up. one was a first gen ryzen based system, the other was a first gen i7. The final one was the oddball, a pentium 4 based system using a btx mobo from an ibm machine, which was hacked into a rackmount chassis. But this one held probably the most interesting piece of equipment, a Yamaha SW1000XG. After a fair bit of researching, this thing seems crazy.

if anyone has some more information about it I would be appreciated to know! Also looking to see if anyone may have drivers for this thing. Here is a picture:

Win98se: 1.5GHz P4, 512mb, AiW 7500 agp, SBLive! ct4760
WinXP: 2.4GHz Q6600, 4gb, Quadro FX 3700, Audigy 2 ZS SB0350
Current: Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb, RTX 2060, HDMI to Yamaha Receiver
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad P50, i7 6700HQ, 32gb, M1000M

Reply 1 of 14, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That was Yamaha's last XG sound card. MIDI wise should be equal to MU100 iirc. It also has a plg100-VH attached. Drivers are still on Yamaha's Japanese site afaik. If you want to make music, Yamaha SOL is ideal.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 2 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are some games that support XG synthesis.
They should sound a lot better than with regular old General Midi though I haven't specifically tested that yet. Final Fantasy VII is one PC game that supports XG.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is pretty beefy though as far as sound goes and can do wonderful things but it is a music making card first and foremost and can be connected to a Yamaha DS2416 mixing card for a complete digital studio.

That card is unfortunately useful in 32bit Windows only and VXD drivers (98SE and ME) are somewhat broken and not supporting proper reporting of playback position so the cursors etc. in many audio editing programs misalign or do other weird things and some programs have very choppy sound due to it. WDM drivers are fine though and first version will also work in Win98SE so you can have problem free playback. Same applies to DS2416 also.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 14, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
YeetStreet9x wrote on 2020-01-17, 01:41:

if anyone has some more information about it I would be appreciated to know! Also looking to see if anyone may have drivers for this thing. Here is a picture:

You can find the drivers in the "repository" linked in cyclone3d's description.

Tiido wrote on 2020-01-17, 10:59:

That card is unfortunately useful in 32bit Windows only and VXD drivers (98SE and ME) are somewhat broken and not supporting proper reporting of playback position so the cursors etc. in many audio editing programs misalign or do other weird things and some programs have very choppy sound due to it. WDM drivers are fine though and first version will also work in Win98SE so you can have problem free playback. Same applies to DS2416 also.

Could you elaborate on that?
I am using the 2.60 driver (VSWXGDSP.VXD) on Win98SE and have not run into the aforementioned problems, ever. But in the case of doing so, what WDM driver should I use under Win98Se, then? Also is there a test I could do to verify whether I have this problem? For example a program that is known to sound choppy with the newer driver?

I am running this on a KT133A MB (QDI KinetiZ) together with a DS2416 and the SW1000XG has the newest firmware.

Reply 5 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For example in Cool Edit Pro 2.0 the cursor will go offsync and in emulators such as Kega Fusion sound is choppy, with all VXD drivers I have (2.4.0, 3.5.0b and 4.0.0b), with WDM 1.00.0007.1 (only WDM driver that works with 98/SE/ME) everything works fine for SW1000XG but for DS2416 the usual programs for controlling stuff like effect routing and whatnot no longer work, they require VXD driver on 9x. I don't have the 2.6 version for VXD driver, perhaps it actually works fine.

Reply 6 of 14, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2020-01-18, 00:07:

For example in Cool Edit Pro 2.0 the cursor will go offsync and in emulators such as Kega Fusion sound is choppy, with all VXD drivers I have (2.4.0, 3.5.0b and 4.0.0b), with WDM 1.00.0007.1 (only WDM driver that works with 98/SE/ME) everything works fine for SW1000XG but for DS2416 the usual programs for controlling stuff like effect routing and whatnot no longer work, they require VXD driver on 9x. I don't have the 2.6 version for VXD driver, perhaps it actually works fine.

Interesting.
I couldn't find anything on the internet about the problem of clicky sound with the SW1000XG. But neither could I find any driver versions that you listed. I blame my searching skills.

Nevertheless, turns out my "2.6.0" driver is actually 3.5.0b. But I still haven't managed to reproduce this, are you sure your card is working correctly?

IMG_5764.JPG
IMG_5763.JPG

I couldn't find Cool Edit Pro 2.0 to test, although I really wanted to, as I plan to use this synth PC as music production center. Other software I already tried that harmonizes with the DS2416 and SW1000XG like Cubase and Logic do not have any cursor / timeline problems at all.

I managed to grab Kega Fusion though and started Sonic. As you can hear (sorry for shaky mobile phone cam), I am not experiencing any pops or crackles....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SZxN36tqZfe … vXT2xMktSUppCh8

I tried both throughout the SW1000XG alone and via internal serial connection to the DS2416. Both worked flawlessly.
I am confused.
PS: Would you be willing to share your driver collection of the DS2416/SW1000XG with me?
Thanks.

Reply 7 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is very interesting... It isn't just cracks and pops but sort of speedup because only tiny fraction of the audio buffer gets played rather than all of it when next one comes.

Was the "use alternate timing" checked in the emulator ? If yes the problem won't appear since emulator timing is changed to be based on something else than end of audio buffer event. But if it does work them I'm pretty stumped, I get the problem with two of the SW1000XG cards I have on all the hardware I have tried it on (VIA Apollo133 pro, Intel G41 and some other chipsets) with VXD drivers, while things work fine with a WDM driver... This is very strange to me when things actually always work properly. Even my own music making software that uses end of sound buffer events for timings won't work right with the cards when VXD driver is used, that's how I figured out what the problem is actually 🤣.

Drivers etc. are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/Yamaha/D … %20XG%20fatory/

Reply 8 of 14, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yamaha's own XGWorks 3.0 sequencer software is floating around out there. It natively supports this card & offers a TON of tweakable XG parameters. Might be worth checking out if you want to use it for music production. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 9 of 14, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2020-01-18, 11:56:

This is very interesting... It isn't just cracks and pops but sort of speedup because only tiny fraction of the audio buffer gets played rather than all of it when next one comes.

Was the "use alternate timing" checked in the emulator ? If yes the problem won't appear since emulator timing is changed to be based on something else than end of audio buffer event. But if it does work them I'm pretty stumped, I get the problem with two of the SW1000XG cards I have on all the hardware I have tried it on (VIA Apollo133 pro, Intel G41 and some other chipsets) with VXD drivers, while things work fine with a WDM driver... This is very strange to me when things actually always work properly. Even my own music making software that uses end of sound buffer events for timings won't work right with the cards when VXD driver is used, that's how I figured out what the problem is actually 🤣.

Drivers etc. are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/Yamaha/D … %20XG%20fatory/

Tried without again just to be sure... and switched the settings once. It seems to work?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EODa22Si0YX … CzFTcm3DTMDlXX5

If I can be of any assistance in pinning this bug down I would gladly help, these are awesome cards.
System: KinetiZ 7E (KT133A) paired with XP 2100+ (4in1 4.43)

Further info and system details will follow if needed.

Reply 10 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, very very interesting. Do you have the IRQ of the card shared with another card or is it having it all to itself ? It is the only thing i can think of right now.

Reply 11 of 14, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will get a Sandra IRQ report... please stand by...
The resource distribution is vastly different compared to 2k and XP on the same machine, iirc.

Reply 12 of 14, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2020-01-18, 12:48:

Ok, very very interesting. Do you have the IRQ of the card shared with another card or is it having it all to itself ? It is the only thing i can think of right now.

Indeed both the DS2416 and the SW1000XG do share their IRQ, with the integrated sound card and the USB Host controller respectively. I expected as much, system is pretty crowded. I have no instabilities, though.

SpBkHpp.jpg
QqvHj9n.jpg

Reply 13 of 14, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am still very much interested in finding out about how to reproduce this bug and help you out finding what is wrong on your system configs. Seeing as to you have two cards, the chances of both of them malfunctioning in the same way are low and it is much more likely that the culprit is found within the driver and system spectrum.

Also I am not 100% sure that everything runs correctly and I have tried everything, as is always the case.

Reply 14 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not able to put time into this right now unfortunately but I'll try out various things later when that time becomes available. I have pairs of SW1000XG, DS2416 and AX44 modules, some even boxed 🤣.